Tulsa Coney Island Style Chili Recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe that duplicates the old school Tulsa style chili that you find widespread here in the Tulsa area?
Coney Islander, Jims, Original Coney Island, and so on.
Thick, finely ground beef, cinnamon or nutmeg (just guessing on the spices) are just a few of the characteristics.
And beanless of course.

I have to make a big batch for a charity cook off in a few weeks.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say that I've ever used a recipe to make chili. It always turns out great!

My daughter asked me for my chili recipe one time. I told her that I didn't have a recipe, because I've never made it the same way twice!

About a year ago, our church small group joined with another of the groups to have a "chili cookoff" with four young high school boys being the judges of the chili. The wife's chili won with a considerable difference in scoring "points" from the four boys.

Everyone's name was put on the pot or crockpot, but the boys didn't see those names. Plates with about 5 sections were taken to them with each section being numbered.

The name on the wife's crockpot was "__'s Most Excellent Surprise Chili.

This year, while there won't be a contest, two of our groups are again having a chili supper. Along with the wife's Most Excellent Surprise Chili, there will be a "Terry-fied Chili" that doesn't have so much spicy taste.

rapidsequence

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
as a self avowed foodie who loves to experiment w new recipes... I have tried for years to replicate the coney islander chili. this recipe is the closest I found.. search youtube for rochester hot meat sauce.
coney islander chili is def not the standard texas/oklahoma chili thing.
I dialed the brown sugar back and cinnamon a bit.

Ground beef 1 Pound
Olive oil 1 Tablespoon
Onion 1/2 , finely chopped
Garlic 1 , chopped
Brown sugar 1 Tablespoon
Freshly ground black pepper 1 Teaspoon
Cayenne pepper 1 Teaspoon
Chili powder 1 Teaspoon
Cumin powder 1/2 Teaspoon
Allspice powder 1/4 Teaspoon
Cinnamon powder 1/4 Teaspoon
Ground cloves 1/4 Teaspoon
Tomato paste 6 Ounce
Water 2 Cups

Directions
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a pot.
2. Add ground beef and then pour water on top.
3. Drop in brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, ground cloves, allspice powder, cayenne pepper and cinnamon powder to the pot. Mix well.
4. Throw in tomato paste, turn the flame down to medium and continue to cook.
5. Add more water and mix everything well. Simmer the sauce for about an hour with the top on.
6. Season with salt, taste and adjust for the seasonings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom