Tulsa Firearms burglary suspects arrested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off the topic, but let's say you purchase a firearm from a private individual at a gun show. No paperwork, cash only. After the gun show, you realize the SN has been obliterated from the firearm. What's the best course of action - turn it into the local police dept and write it off as a loss?

Toss it into a dumpster, duh. Kidding aside the best course of action is probably calling the local ATF branch and get ready for a serious case of buyer's remorse. Most firearms have an easy to spot serial number but some handguns could have the number concealed by the grips. Something like a Browning HP that has the serial number on the front strap could be hidden by wrap around grips. You might not think about it if you weren't familiar with that particular firearm.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whats with all the questions about altered serial #s. You guys need to quit buying guns from shady people at gunshows.

if you do happen to end up with one, unless you can lead the police to the guy who sold it to you, i think it would be best if the gun just "disappeared".

i always look at the guns from top to bottom and also pay attention to the individual who is selling it. i also have some conversation with them not only about firearms. if anything seems fishy its best not to buy.

i do worry about the guns being stolen tho. i like to transfer my guns to myself even though its not required by law. sometimes i do get nervous as to what if when i try to transfer the run the #s and it ends up being stolen.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
off topic if i accidently came into possion of a gun with serial # problems, it could happen, i have never looked for s n when i buy one but i am going to start. i would strip the receiver & destory or throw it in the lake,
strip and destroy.

as a note to those on here asking these questions. you should also realize before going out and destroying your gun.
if it is an old rifle or shotgun made before 1968 it was not federally required to have a serial number.
some companies did it others did not. there is probably a million old savage/stevens 22's and single shot shotguns out there with no serial numbers.

all handguns made after 1934 have to have a serial number.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you come across a gun with an altered or removed serial number bring it to me or a local Class 7 license holder, we can strip it down and look for a number, sometimes we can recover the number but at last resort we can strip it down for parts and cut up the gun per regulations and you would not have to go to jail.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
whats with all the questions about altered serial #s. You guys need to quit buying guns from shady people at gunshows.

if you do happen to end up with one, unless you can lead the police to the guy who sold it to you, i think it would be best if the gun just "disappeared".

i always look at the guns from top to bottom and also pay attention to the individual who is selling it. i also have some conversation with them not only about firearms. if anything seems fishy its best not to buy.

i do worry about the guns being stolen tho. i like to transfer my guns to myself even though its not required by law. sometimes i do get nervous as to what if when i try to transfer the run the #s and it ends up being stolen.

In oklahoma guns are not registered, if you do a transfer the only thing that is checked out is your background for any wants, warrants, and past fellonys, ect.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you keep half decent records I would notify the ATF and say "Hey, I bought this gun and didn't realize it didn't have a S/N. I bought it from XYZ individual or XYZ shop"

At least they can start to trace it and try and find the real criminal.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had this happen to me at a gun show. Some guy came up to my table and handed me a 1911 with the serial number drilled off. He asked me what I'd give for it. I told him to take his gun and get lost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom