Tuner to delete cam phasers on Ford Triton - OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got a 5.4l with the infamous cam phasers. I replaced them along with a cam, chain and peripheral parts about 50k miles ago. All Ford parts. They are starting to get loud again. So, I'm thinking about putting a cam phaser lockout kit in it. It looks like the kit is about $20 to do the lockout and then about $400-500 for the SCT x4 tuner and tune to delete it, the bulk of that cost being the SCT x4, or similar. I found a couple shops online that you can ship the ECM to for a delete, but with shipping etc, the car would be down better than a week.

So, is there a local tuning shop that could do the cam phaser delete on the ECM? Or, alternatively, is there any value in the SCT x4, where I could use it and then sell it afterword? Once it loads the tune to the ECM I don't need it anymore, correct?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've got a 5.4l with the infamous cam phasers. I replaced them along with a cam, chain and peripheral parts about 50k miles ago. All Ford parts. They are starting to get loud again. So, I'm thinking about putting a cam phaser lockout kit in it. It looks like the kit is about $20 to do the lockout and then about $400-500 for the SCT x4 tuner and tune to delete it, the bulk of that cost being the SCT x4, or similar. I found a couple shops online that you can ship the ECM to for a delete, but with shipping etc, the car would be down better than a week.

So, is there a local tuning shop that could do the cam phaser delete on the ECM? Or, alternatively, is there any value in the SCT x4, where I could use it and then sell it afterword? Once it loads the tune to the ECM I don't need it anymore, correct?
Anyone with HP Tuners can delete it. If you want to bring it to Tulsa I will delete it for whatever the cost of the credits are($100ish). SCT will load the tune, but it will be VIN locked so you wouldn't be able to sell it while your truck is still using the lockout delete tune.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone with HP Tuners can delete it. If you want to bring it to Tulsa I will delete it for whatever the cost of the credits are($100ish). SCT will load the tune, but it will be VIN locked so you wouldn't be able to sell it while your truck is still using the lockout delete tune.
Thanks. If I strike out over here I may hit you up. Seems like kind of a racket on the SCT, but is what it is I guess.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just asking, but don't most SCT Tuners come with some pre loaded tunes? Can't tunes be bought online and downloaded (To the EPA asking for a friend...)

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any word of advice for getting rid of Dod crap on the 14-18 silverados sir?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HP Racing can do it. Kirk Peters and his brother are the owners and I've known Kirk for years. Drop my name (Clay Henry) and you may get a better price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom