Tuner to delete cam phasers on Ford Triton - OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my XCal4 from Stage 3 Motorsports with tunes from 5-Star Tuning during a Black Friday sale a few years ago. To sell the XCal, you have to return the calibration to stock; while you have a tune loaded, the XCal is locked to your VIN.

FWIW, I've only used an XCal with a CAN PCM, not the systems used on the Tritons.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've got a 5.4l with the infamous cam phasers. I replaced them along with a cam, chain and peripheral parts about 50k miles ago. All Ford parts. They are starting to get loud again. So, I'm thinking about putting a cam phaser lockout kit in it. It looks like the kit is about $20 to do the lockout and then about $400-500 for the SCT x4 tuner and tune to delete it, the bulk of that cost being the SCT x4, or similar. I found a couple shops online that you can ship the ECM to for a delete, but with shipping etc, the car would be down better than a week.

So, is there a local tuning shop that could do the cam phaser delete on the ECM? Or, alternatively, is there any value in the SCT x4, where I could use it and then sell it afterword? Once it loads the tune to the ECM I don't need it anymore, correct?
How many miles are on the engine? What causes this is low oil pressure and at idle especially is when the wear on the pin in the phaser happens. It goes without saying to be diligent with oil changes.

I also have a 3V Triton with 136k on it now. I bought it with 54k on it. Mine are still quiet as can be. The oil specified by Ford to meet CAFE standards are NOT what these engines need. Originally they spec'd 5W30 and then all the sudden they changed their minds and went to 5W20 for "maximum performance and durability". The same engine sold in vehicles in Australia spec'd 10W30.

I've been running 10W30 Amsoil synthetic for years in it. No issues yet.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many miles are on the engine? What causes this is low oil pressure and at idle especially is when the wear on the pin in the phaser happens. It goes without saying to be diligent with oil changes.

I also have a 3V Triton with 136k on it now. I bought it with 54k on it. Mine are still quiet as can be. The oil specified by Ford to meet CAFE standards are NOT what these engines need. Originally they spec'd 5W30 and then all the sudden they changed their minds and went to 5W20 for "maximum performance and durability". The same engine sold in vehicles in Australia spec'd 10W30.

I've been running 10W30 Amsoil synthetic for years in it. No issues yet.
It's got about 160k on it. When I did the phasers last time I replaced the the oil pump with what was supposed to be an upgrade. I switched to 10w30 then. I've even thought about trying 10w40. I have noticed that Motorcraft oil filters seem to help the start up clatter a little. I guess they have a valve that helps with oil drain back when sitting.

My wife does putter around and idle a lot, which is hard on things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom