Turk Mauser serial number???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Turk 98 which has been converted to 22-250. I was looking for a serial number today, and didn't find one. I have some other Mausers, both commercial and milsurp, and numbers appear in various places. My Turk has no numbers in any of those places.

I did not romove the stock or the scope mount, which covers up the crest and any other info on the top of the ring.

Would someone with a Turk see if yours has a serial number and tell me where you found it? Thanks.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
mine is on the left side of the receiver. also realized i may have a low number at 5 digits.quick search, mine is a 1940. was yours ground/polished off in the sporter process?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If its actual turkish made instead of german it may have the squiggly-wiggilys instead of regular numbers. cyllic,arabic whatever you want to call'em.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Turks were renowned for recycling old guns into 'new' pattern guns. They rebored a lot of 7.65mm barrels into 8mm barrels...made large ring Mausers to accept small ring Mauser barrels...and weird mix-o-parts rifles turn up all the time...even turned an occasional captured Lee Enfield into 8mm Mauser style rifles!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked it over again, closely, and there is an "eight" peeking out from under the rear Weaver mount, and on the other side, just of a hint of a number under the mount. Looks like room for maybe six digits under there.

Hate to remove the mount since it's sighted in, but looks like that may be where it is.

Not totally sure it's a Turk, but the seller told me it was. It's for sure a 98 pattern Mauser, and after lots of correction of problems left by a 'bubba' smith, works pretty nicely. Just a bit heavy to carry around.