Turkey Species

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found a picture of my first turkeys to call in that me and a buddy killed. These were taken around Madill/Kingston area where there are hybrid turkeys. Both turkeys were running together and came in side by side. The one on the right was bigger and a little more dominant, he did most of the strutting, but they were both jakes with about 3 inch bears and tiny spurs.

So why the different colors? Different species? Cross between two different species? I have never known and hadn't been able to find the picture until now. Thoughts?

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my thoughts, the right being a Rio, but wasn't sure on the one on the left. Easterns are supposed to be slightly larger than Rio's but the one on the right was considerably larger, so a bit confused on what it was.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have killed one or two Easterns over the years around Stillwater and have hunted them in Missouri. They have brown tips on their fans and have brown shading on the tail. They look a lot darker in the distance than Rios. A lot of the Rios we get around here have a lot of red dirt on their tails but if you get a clean one, they are always white tipped. The Eastern in the pic just looks like a younger bird to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom