Tying flies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HEY!! CHOPPED LIVER!! These are evening sessions at Backwoods Equipment Co at 123rd & N. May. in OKC. I have a spare bedroom at CW. There is a tying session, I think tomorrow night. I will check in the morning and give you a call.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife apparently doesn't want me around and has provided me another expensive hobby to get into for my birthday: Fly Fishing. She got me a Wild Water 5/6 weight fly rod with some flies, case, and leader. I look forward to the frustration brought on by the learning process of casting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife apparently doesn't want me around and has provided me another expensive hobby to get into for my birthday: Fly Fishing. She got me a Wild Water 5/6 weight fly rod with some flies, case, and leader. I look forward to the frustration brought on by the learning process of casting.

It is a steep learning curve. I'm probably at the advanced beginner level. Some casts are picture perfect ending up perfectly flat, about 2' off the water, and just laying down on the water with no ripples.
Other times, I'll end up with a wad of fly line wrapped around my feet, and a fly stuck in my ear lobe. :D

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fly fishing is a different addiction altogether for sure. You have to get used to casting the LINE as opposed to, with spinning or baitcasting, casting a LURE.

Best tips I can think of are to try not to cast with your wrist, and don't speed up your casting stroke as you go from false-casting to final cast.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fly fishing is a different addiction altogether for sure. You have to get used to casting the LINE as opposed to, with spinning or baitcasting, casting a LURE.

Best tips I can think of are to try not to cast with your wrist, and don't speed up your casting stroke as you go from false-casting to final cast.

Great tips. My issue of great cast to disaster is by breaking the wrist, and going beyond 10 and two.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When a person learns to feel the rod load on the back cast, their cast will start improving. I think it's easier, for someone who has never fly fished, to learn to cast, than someone who has a fishing background.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When a person learns to feel the rod load on the back cast, their cast will start improving. I think it's easier, for someone who has never fly fished, to learn to cast, than someone who has a fishing background.

Your exactly right. Breaking the wrist is mandatory in spinning gear casting. Its a tough habit to break.

Latest posts

Top Bottom