Underground Storage Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a cellar that leaked bad growing up, sometimes 4-5ft deep. My brothers and I would swim in it sometimes!!

Anyways, we ended up sealing it from the inside several times and it finally stopped leaking. We went another 10-15 more years with no problems until we moved. So, with that said, I don't think you'll have to seal the outside, I'd start inside and see if that works first.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember seeing a product that actually leached into the pores of the concrete and bonded. I believe it was drylock? Was designed for similar situations. Also, it may be possible to dig a sump well on the uphill corners outside the structure down to a depth of three or so feet lower than the floor, set perforated 12" PVC in it with a foot or so gravel bed, and put a sump pump with a float switch in the bottom of each hole. Depending on how the structure was leveled and bedded, it may allow any hydraulic pressure to seep into the sump wells instead of penetrating the structure. A bit of a gamble, but cheaper than digging it up and French draining it. Good luck in whatever you do.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to add to my post last night that we never ha to do anything to the exterior of the cellar or add any additional drainage. The seal in the interior worked all by itself.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a cellar that leaked bad growing up, sometimes 4-5ft deep. My brothers and I would swim in it sometimes!!

Anyways, we ended up sealing it from the inside several times and it finally stopped leaking. We went another 10-15 more years with no problems until we moved. So, with that said, I don't think you'll have to seal the outside, I'd start inside and see if that works first.

I have this same problem in my cellar. What product did you use? I am interested in it so I can seal it from the inside without digging up for a french drain. My cellar is made out of rock and mortar. Is there a hydrolic mortar of concrete product?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a company in Ponca that specializes in waterproofing basements. Its a paint of some sort. I suspect an epoxy coating of some kind. It only goes on the inside walls/floor.

#1 thing you want to do is get those rusty cans off the vents. Put a cap on one, and a whirly bird vent on the other. Get some air circulation going. Your water issue may not be as bad as you think.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this same problem in my cellar. What product did you use? I am interested in it so I can seal it from the inside without digging up for a french drain. My cellar is made out of rock and mortar. Is there a hydrolic mortar of concrete product?

A little of this goes a long ways. It dries FAST so mix a little at a time.
i573.photobucket.com_albums_ss173_stevensturgeon_1a5639641f596b9a6a25011550b559f8.jpg

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Digging 11 or 12 foot holes for drains is NOT going to happen! But I may try the Drylock on the inside. I used quickCrete a number of years ago on a rental house basement and it was no good. May even investigate the bed liner idea, I never thought of that. And thanks for the input on the vents, although a turbine would not work covered in tree limbs like it is, I may just put on a couple U vents to help. Wonder if extending one to near the floor and adding a solar powered fan would work? And if all else fails, I will just go back to plan B and turn it into a giant cistern fed from the gutters of the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom