Upland Bird Hunting 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took Clyde out with a dual mission of scouting for deer and hoping to get him on some birds. Well, he got his first encounter with wild quail. Spent two hours chasing a huge covey all around a cut corn field. I was a little mad at first, but after watching him for a bit, and realizing there wasn't a chance we could get up close enough to shoot them with the corn cut down so low, I just enjoyed the little guy having the time of his life. This was taken mid chaos, thought it captured the moment pretty well. View attachment 319483

We ended up going out and trying to clean up some cripples that someone had left around a pond, definitely another big learning experience. He found blood here, probably roughly where a duck landed. He wouldnt leave the spot until I checked it to his satisfaction. A far cry from blowing out coveys of birds repeatedly. I think if I do my part he'll be a solid dog eventually.View attachment 319484
Great dog!

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little bit of Wee haw and mostly private. We found most of the birds in the thickest cover we could find, cattails and that grass that grows 8 ft tall... can't think of the name. But the water ways and creeks were good. Basically where the food and the thickest cover was. Wetland areas that didn't have any water were the best. We didn't even hunt crp this year because of the drought. We were in the west central part of Kansas. All wild birds, we had 3 setters and a shorthair.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot 7 this weekend. Birds are decent west of 35. I’ve heard them in some spots east. Haven’t hunted. My pointer died this weekend, so I don’t know how hard I’ll hunt this season.
Lost my male setter about 10 years ago at Kaw wma and never found him. It was rough for a while but I found a couple new hunting buddy's!
20170819_184225.jpg
20201218_203024.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom