Urban Tulsa Weekly: Open Question (article - 5/30)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/...&cb=e0619d70ecb919b3bee6ad5feb14af28#comments

Kind of surprised this article got no notice from the OSA crowd. It is a good read with multiple points of view represented from the Brady crowd to Wanenmacher.

There is one significant oversight about open carry requiring the same license as concealed carry. I've placed a comment below the article on the website to that effect.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I would expect that anybody foolish enough to carry a weapon exposed would probably find out that it's not as acceptable as they thought," said Rick Phillips, owner of Oklahoma Police Supply, 5308 E. Admiral Place, and 2A Shooting Center, 4616 E. Admiral Place"

Wow - guess we know where he stands.

"I don't want to see any further restrictions on firearms," Wanenmacher said.

I won't be open carrying but this is my stance

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I would expect that anybody foolish enough to carry a weapon exposed would probably find out that it's not as acceptable as they thought," said Rick Phillips, owner of Oklahoma Police Supply, 5308 E. Admiral Place, and 2A Shooting Center, 4616 E. Admiral Place"

Wow - guess we know where he stands.

That was the comment I expected to see get a quote and response here, especially since OPS has been favorably mentioned by many on the forum. Seems to be a typical LEO/former LEO perspective - I've stopped worrying about it and just come to expect it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we're going to quote him, perhaps it would be a good idea to quote all of it?

I would expect that anybody foolish enough to carry a weapon exposed would probably find out that it's not as acceptable as they thought," said Rick Phillips, owner of Oklahoma Police Supply, 5308 E. Admiral Place, and 2A Shooting Center, 4616 E. Admiral Place

A retired Tulsa Police Department officer, Phillips said he expects police to look warily on those who carry openly, confronting them to check for credentials and to "take control of the situation."

He said he completely supports open-carry as a right under the Constitution. But, in practice, all the gun enthusiasts he knows feel that carrying a concealed weapon is a far more sensible choice.

For example, if someone carrying a concealed weapon walks into a convenience store during a robbery, they have choices: to focus on being a good witness for authorities, or to try to act against the robber.

If the gun is exposed and spotted by a criminal, "he's going to take action against you," Phillips said.

"I would never, or can't imagine any reason I would ever carry a weapon exposed, where someone could see it," Phillips said, adding that he feels most Tulsans will agree.

I think what he's saying is that concealed is a better choice. Many here tend to agree with him.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont agree with the foolish part, but do think he makes a good point on the concealed vs open issue and walking into a situation, it forces you to act, vs letting you make a choice. Made me think anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom