US Senator Coburn (R-OK) Introduces Gun Control of His Own (not kidding!!!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Subject: RELEASE - Coburn Offers Amendment to Replace Manchin-Toomey
Importance: High

For Immediate Release April 17, 2013
John Hart, Communications Director
[email protected]
202-228-5357; (cell) 202-679-1029

Aaron Fobes, Deputy Press Secretary
[email protected]
202-228-5358; (cell) 202-664-4796

Dr. Coburn Offers Amendment to Replace Manchin-Toomey

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) released the following statement today regarding his amendment #727 to replace the Manchin-Toomey amendment:

“Under my approach gun owners are treated as part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Instead of harassing gun owners with new taxes and other burdens, my bill gives law-abiding citizens the tools they need to make sure they aren’t going to transfer a firearm to someone who will be a threat to themselves or others. For example, under my plan the process of confirming a buyer is not on the NICS list of prohibited buyers – the ‘do not buy list’ – will be as simple as using a smart phone app or printing a boarding pass from your home computer.”

“The Manchin-Toomey amendment is an unworkable plan that is almost certain to fail even if it passes. The American people don’t have to settle for failure and more finger-pointing and posturing from career politicians in Washington. My plan has the best chance of making it to the president’s desk. If the Senate is serious about solving this problem, this solution is within their reach.

“Finally, every citizen should be rightfully concerned when Washington legislates in areas where the Constitution explicitly limits government intrusion, and they should hold their representatives accountable when guaranteed rights are infringed upon. Yet, the fact that my plan won’t be popular with special interest groups on either side, who tend to represent themselves rather than gun owners or the American people, is a sign of its strength.

“Groups on the left have prioritized record-keeping over safety while groups on the right are helping arm illegal aliens and criminals with their incoherent opposition to any solution that closes gaps in the law. I’m not intimidated by these groups, and neither should any elected official who is a Constitutional officer of the people. Unlike professional lobbyists and fundraisers, I have not just talked about Second Amendment rights, I have expanded them. If special interest groups want to defend a system that arms illegal aliens, pedophiles, spousal abusers, drug dealers, felons, mentally-dangerous persons and others on the ‘do not buy list,’ they are welcome to make that case with their members.”

Key provisions and principles of the Coburn amendment:

· Instead of rerouting all commerce through federally designated person that will charge a $30-$50 fee that creates a new de facto tax on guns, the Coburn amendment would allow the consumer portal and concealed carry permits to be used for verification, protecting law abiding gun owners’ freedom to easily and safely transfer firearms.

· Respects the 10th amendment by giving states the ability to take primacy of enforcement, implement flexible solutions, and create certain exemptions.

· Reaffirms the federal policy that there will not be a federal firearms registry, and places strict penalties for violation of this policy.

· Improves reporting of mental health records by states to the NICS system.

· Provides proper due process for veterans to prevent them from being unfairly deprived of their Second Amendment Rights.

· Includes a five-year sunset provision that will force Congress to evaluate the effectiveness of the consumer portal.

US Senator Tom Coburn Contact Information:

Washington D.C.:
172 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
Main: 202-224-5754
Fax: 202-224-6008

Tulsa:
1800 South Baltimore
Suite 800
Tulsa, OK 74119
Main: 918-581-7651
Fax: 918-581-7195

Oklahoma City:
100 North Broadway
Suite 1820
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Main: 405-231-4941
Fax: 405-231-5051

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe i'm missing something but how is this bad? This seems like something we've all been wanting which would be open up NICS to private sellers. Can someone point out if this isn't the case or if I'm mis-reading the amendment?

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it won't prevent anything, same as the other bill, but this one will have more bipartisan support.

wonder why coburn didn't sign on for the filibuster? he wanted to get manchin-tooney out of the way to introduce his own... its all part of the plan... it'll pass, and gun groups will celebrate their win.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problem I see with this is that it is being offered as an amendment to the Reid gun bill instead of being a stand alone bill. My other question would be is it mandatory or voluntary? Voluntary is great, mandatory not so much.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The main problem I see with this is that it is being offered as an amendment to the Reid gun bill instead of being a stand alone bill. My other question would be is it mandatory or voluntary? Voluntary is great, mandatory not so much.

It would most likely begin as voluntary, to gain acceptance, then later it would become mandatory, and would be unenforceable without registration just like Universal Background Checks.

I can see a lot of people that would not accept UBCs saying this is "reasonable", but it could easily end up causing the same effect.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like murderers or wife beaters or dope heads or robbers. And I don't want any of the dirtbags to have guns. I KNOW there is no perfect solution, but Coburn's amendment is the best "gun control" legislation I have ever seen in that by itself it will have little or no effect on law abiding citizens gun rights and will keep some firearms away from those who should not have them. Bash away, but know if Coburn's amendment or something similar is not passed we will end up with something much less palatable in the end. I would like to have a system in place where I could make sure someone can legally own a firearm before I tranfer it to them.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that system already exists! 10-20 bucks and any ffl holder will make the phonecall.
the existing laws don't keep guns out of the hands of criminals, why would this be any different?

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's mandatory I don't think it is constitutional because that would get back to the federal government trying to regulate intrastate commerce.

I'd love to see the house pass a bill requiring background checks at the polling place before you can vote. And when democrats howl about it infringing on people's right to vote they should point out that only one right in the constitution is specifically protected from all infringement.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that system already exists! 10-20 bucks and any ffl holder will make the phonecall.
the existing laws don't keep guns out of the hands of criminals, why would this be any different?

100% incorrect! Under Coburn's bill there is no call to the FBI NICS and no 4473. Current dealer want no part of a expanded check system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom