Velvet ants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just learned something about it. It's not a ant but instead it's a wingless wasp.
VelvetAnt.jpg

Also know to be called cow killer ant.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get stung by one, big red wasp aint got nothin compared to one of them
My cat got stung by one, it made him sick and a huge lump on his leg from swelling took a week to go down. Keystone lake was flood stage and the yard was full of those pushed out of the lake shore and he was messing with one and it got him good

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get stung by one, big red wasp aint got nothin compared to one of them
My cat got stung by one, it made him sick and a huge lump on his leg from swelling took a week to go down. Keystone lake was flood stage and the yard was full of those pushed out of the lake shore and he was messing with one and it got him good
The link did say the females would sting if messed with.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The link did say the females would sting if messed with.
I was always told as a kid that if you got stung by one, you’d rather have been shot. Must have made an impression, I avoid them like the plague to this day.

I was also led to believe blister bugs are the closest thing to satan on this planet. But I can’t tell you if I have ever seen one myself.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are tough little bastards too, it takes a solid boot stomp and grind for a confirmed kill. I stepped on one barefoot once, right on the tender arch of my foot and that was insanely painful. I've been stung by just about everything that exists around here and those velvet ants are at the top of the pain scale for intensity and duration. Expect to lay there writhing in pain for maybe an hour, and then it becomes tolerable.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sting is pretty bad. Got zapped when I was a kid; thing looked soft, so I had to check it out - an act that remedies itself. Like a cigarette lighter held on your finger.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were varmint hunting out in the bush and a buddy didn't look too careful before he sat down and got stung by one of the little bastards. Ended up taking him to the hospital in Watonga for treatment. Made em sick as the dickens and after that episode he would not sit down when out side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom