Video of cap and ball water penetration test.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be about water penetrating into the chamber of a cap and ball gun and how hard it was/wasn't to make it stop functioning. I was wroooooong. Haha.

Cool video though!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be about water penetrating into the chamber of a cap and ball gun and how hard it was/wasn't to make it stop functioning. I was wroooooong. Haha.

Cool video though!

A friend of mine, on a bet, properly loaded a '51 Navy, then put it into a bucket of water and left it overnight. The next day, all six chambers fired at full power. The key term is "properly loaded."

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw your video last night on THR. Very cool.

When you talk about your friend "properly loading" his Navy, are you referring to things like waxing the caps to the nipples? Or is there another technique I'm not familiar with?

I'm asking because I just picked up an 1858 clone and I'm trying to learn all of the little tricks and nuances.

Thanks

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw your video last night on THR. Very cool.

When you talk about your friend "properly loading" his Navy, are you referring to things like waxing the caps to the nipples? Or is there another technique I'm not familiar with?

I'm asking because I just picked up an 1858 clone and I'm trying to learn all of the little tricks and nuances.

Thanks

This happened many years ago, but he used either mutton tallow or bear tallow over the bullets. You can get mutton tallow from Dixie Gun Works, you'd probably have to make your own bear tallow nowadays.

Actually, if you use balls that are oversized enough so you shave a complete ring of lead when seating, that chamber is sealed, with or without anything over the bullet. I still like to put a bit of Bore Butter over each bullet, just to keep things lubed up and running good. For your Remington, that would be .454 or even .457. Try some of each. The same is true with caps, a proper fitting cap will seal the nipple. I'd suggest Remington #10 to start with. If they are tight, you can put the nipple in a drill chuck and polish it till the caps are a perfect fit. Just don't take off too much metal!

The closest I've done to a torture test was load a '51 Navy, poured melted beeswax over the bullets and the caps, then kept it in my pickup all last summer. It shot just fine.

Are you using the same log-in name on The High Road?

Latest posts

Top Bottom