Wanna Try Something New

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all. Im new to this site, as well as the idea of competing in any kind of shooting sports. The only kind of competition shooting I have done is trying to get a better score on my firearms qualifications in the army ( which I usaully one). After reading about some of them ( here, guns and ammo, various other publications), I, and a few of my friends are intereted. Mainly in 3-gun, steel challenge and bolt military rifle matches. But I have questions. Im not expecting to jump into any of these expecting to blaze a trail to the winners circle, just want to have some fun. let me first list what I do have:

FN/FAL (308)
AR-15 stock with 20in barrel
maverick 500 shot gun
lee-einfield (.303)
Mosin-nagant
Berreta 92FS
GI 1911A1

My questions are these. Will these firearms (all functional and well maintaned) work for any of these matches? Is there addtional gear I need? Do I need scopes, holo sights, or special glass? What can I expect in regards to ammocount type? Is there a certain combonation of firearms I should work with? Anything that I need to know? Any and all tips are very much appriciated. Thank you in advance.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the gear you've listed there are many options. Steel challenge is probably the simplest to start with. USPSA is another great choice as well as 3 gun. Bottom line is that there are tons of matches to shoot, the first step is to come shoot something! lol... There are tons of great people shooting these events who are more than willing to help out in any way possible. Please feel free to send me a PM if I can help out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. Im new to this site, as well as the idea of competing in any kind of shooting sports. The only kind of competition shooting I have done is trying to get a better score on my firearms qualifications in the army ( which I usaully one). After reading about some of them ( here, guns and ammo, various other publications), I, and a few of my friends are intereted. Mainly in 3-gun, steel challenge and bolt military rifle matches. But I have questions. Im not expecting to jump into any of these expecting to blaze a trail to the winners circle, just want to have some fun. let me first list what I do have:

FN/FAL (308)
AR-15 stock with 20in barrel
maverick 500 shot gun
lee-einfield (.303)
Mosin-nagant
Berreta 92FS
GI 1911A1

My questions are these. Will these firearms (all functional and well maintaned) work for any of these matches? Is there addtional gear I need? Do I need scopes, holo sights, or special glass? What can I expect in regards to ammocount type? Is there a certain combonation of firearms I should work with? Anything that I need to know? Any and all tips are very much appriciated. Thank you in advance.

Well your 92FS or 1911 would work well in IDPA. You could shoot heavy metal division in IDPA DMG with your FAL & 590, but we're not running DMG around here quite yet. I'll let the 3-gun guys address what would work for their sport.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For military bolt, the two bolt guns have possibilities. In Oklahoma, Military Bolt is an active sport. Several clubs, to include OKC Gun Club http://www.okcgunclub.org/divisions.html shoot it. Others in the Tulsa area include Oil Capital http://www.ocrgc.com/ and Red Castle shoot it. The last few years the state championship has been held at Oil Capital.

To be legal, the rifle needs to be near bone stock, with only modifications done to the rifle are those that a soldier in the field would accomplish. Glass bedding, special sights, etc are a no-go.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bring that AR, Beretta 92, and come out to OKC gun club Sunday and shoot 3 gun with us. I have a could extra shotguns you can run and all the gear you need to give it a try. Then after the match you can use the 1911 to come shoot the indoor match at heartland outdoors in edmond. Pm sent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom