Wanting to build a small house with cash.. Best design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some land and I want to build a small house with cash and most likely do it myself. My first plan was a 14x36 grambrel roof on skids and concrete supports. Basically a glorified shed. The cost of pressure treated skids and floor joists and tongue and groove OSB flooring adds up to as much or more as having a slab put in. Also, I don't like the gambrel or barn roof look. What would you guys do? Some have said two story small cape cod style is the most living space for the money.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some land and I want to build a small house with cash and most likely do it myself. My first plan was a 14x36 grambrel roof on skids and concrete supports. Basically a glorified shed. The cost of pressure treated skids and floor joists and tongue and groove OSB flooring adds up to as much or more as having a slab put in. Also, I don't like the gambrel or barn roof look. What would you guys do? Some have said two story small cape cod style is the most living space for the money.

I wouldn't use OSB in a chicken coop.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of choices and possibilities. A very personal endeavor.

If you have a hill, I would build into the side of it.

Concrete block is strong, inexpensive, and a great insulator. Would be my first choice.

Have looked at and considered the comes, several times.

Stay away from OSB and particle board, tongue and groove plywood is acceptable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom