Wanting to do a raised bed...maybe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I want some fresh veggies this year and really thinking raised bed. Looking for a little guidance.
-what's a good size? I live on an acre with big backyard
-depth?
-what combo of soil and stuff should I fill it with?
-put a layer of plastic under it?
-fertilizer?
-anything I missed?

Sent via message in a bottle

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the earth boxes I was told about them by some experienced gardeners and I like the look of them a lot, especially being a gardening newb myself. I am going to try a couple for some tomatoes.

Norman681

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use boxes made out of 2x6's. 3 feet by 8 feet. That makes it much easier to weed. Turn your dirt over about a shovel deep. Then mix in a good amount of compost. It actually takes a few years to get you soil good. Then you should learn to rotate ur crops. Tomatoes grow good where peas were planted last year.

Live Free or Die

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get some of the 8' landscape timbers that are cheap, drill some holes in them to put rebar through them into the ground. Put some of the landscape cloth on the ground, folding the edges over the top of the landscape timbers to keep the weeds out, fill with good dirt/peat moss/fertilizer, and plant.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The depth really depends on what you want to plant. Lettuces and salad greens only require a few inches for rooting, same for beans and peas. Tomatoes and peppers, I'd say about a foot. And potatoes I'd go at least 3 feet. You can add depth for potatoes by using a feed tub with the bottom cut out places over the potatoes, and piling more soil on them as they continue to grow until you reach the top of the potato bin.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planning onions, tomaters, few peppers and maybe sweet corn. The 6 year old said 'CARROTS!' I have a plastic barrel I could sacrifice to grow potatoes (Yukon gold??) if will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some of the 8' landscape timbers that are cheap, drill some holes in them to put rebar through them into the ground. Put some of the landscape cloth on the ground, folding the edges over the top of the landscape timbers to keep the weeds out, fill with good dirt/peat moss/fertilizer, and plant.

I used landscape timbers as well. Catch them when on sale at Lowe's or HD. I believe mine are stacked 4 high. I made my beds 4'x8' because it suited my back yard better. They've worked great for many years now.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor rotor tilled 3/4 of his back yard then added 15 bags of 10-20-10 and tilled it again
He planted okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, and poured the water to it.
I never seen so many veggies .
I could not get anything to grow here in Yukon.
I added 2 tons of sand a bunch of steer manure and peat humus ,, finally have things growing.

I used rocks at first.. then old barn metal around the garden to keep rabbits and other critters out .
I have used cedar slabs from the saw mill many times..
My other neighbor used 2x 10s or something and had a load of what looked like sandy lome dumped in his side yard to fill the beds.
I helped make the beds and fill them.. as he is over weight and looked like he needed help.

His kids have been playing in it the last week or so.
He had extra dirt and some bricks so i extended it a bit on the far left end.
Built this last year.

raised garden.jpg

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use landscape timbers make sure to put a barrier between them and your ground soil. Wood to earth contact will rot over time and possibly attract termites, And make sure they are not OLD green timbers that are CCA treated. Landscape timbers aren't CCA treated for about 10 years now but if you just find some laying around don't use them for food gardening. I highly recommend the book or website square foot gardening it goes into detail on constructing several different types of raised beds and an excellent soil mix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom