Talk to me about fruit trees ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to plant some fruit trees this fall but all the info I am finding is just confusing me more. 🤦🤦🤦

Any advice when it comes to varieties that do well in Oklahoma ... 🤷🤷 Based on what I learned at beekeeping class yesterday, these trees will be really good for them. I'd also like varieties that I can stagger the blooming on (makes for a steadier food source for the bees, and makes harvesting/putting up a little easier too).

9 to 12 trees, depending on how I need to space them out, along with a row of blackberry shrubs along the chicken and rabbit pen fencing (so they can all nibble through the fence for treats) and a strawberry plot up by the patio (and another larger bed in the front) and a couple of beehives, three at the absolute most, depends on how productive they are, should pretty much fill up the backyard.

Grumpy would like peaches ... I'm more inclined to go with apples ... So maybe both?? Lol

I wish @Timmy59 would stick his head back in the door. 😢 I miss him ...

Anyway ... I have 3 raised beds laid out in an east/west orientation. Do I need to change that to north/south??

I'm thinking maybe a row of 3 or 4 apple trees, a row of 3 or 4 peach trees, and a row of 3 or 4 cherry trees. There is a guy on YT who has planted standard sized trees and keeps them pruned to 6 to 8 feet tall. I'll have to go find his channel name -- don't recall off the top of my head. OR maybe 3 of each of those and 3 pear trees??!?!?!? I seriously do not know what to do except I know I'm gonna have to prune and I need to watch my varieties to make sure I have the appropriate cross-pollinators ...

Ugh ... Now you see why I'm asking for help ... I need to get the trees in the ground this fall so I can get a nuc this coming spring.

I do have a lot of help with the heavy-lifting stuff. Thank goodness. I really feel like once it's in and established that the maintenance won't be overwhelming. As much as I'd like an acreage it is turning out that this little plot of land is just about the perfect size for me to play around on.

Anyway ... Thanks in advance for any advice, attagirls, "OMG you're nuts! Don't do all that you'll never get it done"s ... Sometimes the harshest criticisms turn out to be the very thing that clicks the light on for me and I figure out a way that would have never occurred to me otherwise. 🤷 Yep, I'm weird that way. 😁😁 Ok ... Ready ... Set ... SPAM ME!! 🤗😋😋🤗🤗

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to plant some fruit trees this fall but all the info I am finding is just confusing me more. 🤦🤦🤦

Any advice when it comes to varieties that do well in Oklahoma ... 🤷🤷 Based on what I learned at beekeeping class yesterday, these trees will be really good for them. I'd also like varieties that I can stagger the blooming on (makes for a steadier food source for the bees, and makes harvesting/putting up a little easier too).

9 to 12 trees, depending on how I need to space them out, along with a row of blackberry shrubs along the chicken and rabbit pen fencing (so they can all nibble through the fence for treats) and a strawberry plot up by the patio (and another larger bed in the front) and a couple of beehives, three at the absolute most, depends on how productive they are, should pretty much fill up the backyard.

Grumpy would like peaches ... I'm more inclined to go with apples ... So maybe both?? Lol

I wish @Timmy59 would stick his head back in the door. 😢 I miss him ...

Anyway ... I have 3 raised beds laid out in an east/west orientation. Do I need to change that to north/south??

I'm thinking maybe a row of 3 or 4 apple trees, a row of 3 or 4 peach trees, and a row of 3 or 4 cherry trees. There is a guy on YT who has planted standard sized trees and keeps them pruned to 6 to 8 feet tall. I'll have to go find his channel name -- don't recall off the top of my head. OR maybe 3 of each of those and 3 pear trees??!?!?!? I seriously do not know what to do except I know I'm gonna have to prune and I need to watch my varieties to make sure I have the appropriate cross-pollinators ...

Ugh ... Now you see why I'm asking for help ... I need to get the trees in the ground this fall so I can get a nuc this coming spring.

I do have a lot of help with the heavy-lifting stuff. Thank goodness. I really feel like once it's in and established that the maintenance won't be overwhelming. As much as I'd like an acreage it is turning out that this little plot of land is just about the perfect size for me to play around on.

Anyway ... Thanks in advance for any advice, attagirls, "OMG you're nuts! Don't do all that you'll never get it done"s ... Sometimes the harshest criticisms turn out to be the very thing that clicks the light on for me and I figure out a way that would have never occurred to me otherwise. 🤷 Yep, I'm weird that way. 😁😁 Ok ... Ready ... Set ... SPAM ME!! 🤗😋😋🤗🤗
Pecan pecan pecan trees too. I know not fruit but papershell pecans are sure a nice thing to enjoy

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Grandparents had fig trees when they moved to Yucaipa, Ca. Never had 'em before then and became a giant fan.

I have a Chicago Hardy in the front yard and JUST got the little plastic thingies to use to get a tree to form a root ball on a stem so you can propagate more trees. If I plant a couple in a spot in the chicken pen then it can provide shade for the chickens and figs for me 😁 (I'll let the chickens have the ones on the bottom.)

AND ... Did you know fig leaves are EDIBLE??!?!? And you can make syrup with them??
https://emilyfabulous.com/fig-leaf-syrup/

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am certainly no fruit tree expert. But the wife and I have planted several of them over the last 10 years living on this property.

Peach trees will tend to do better than most apple varieties in our climate. Apples can obviously be grown here too though. We have a green apple tree that does decent every few years.

Get a mixture of different peach varieties. Put a couple white peaches in there too. Try to find some that ripen early summer and some of that ripen late summer to stagger harvest.

Try to seek out varieties that are proven to do well in Oklahoma.

The wife and I have had success transplanting small baby trees from under established peach trees. Typically pop up like crazy in the spring. We have never tried cloning/grafting. When you grow from seed, it’s not guaranteed the peaches will be the same as the parent tree. But we’ve had good luck with it. Plus it’s free.. Some of the nurseries get pricey.

Word of warning: be prepared to wait several years before seeing any fruit, and from there be prepared to only get a ‘good’ harvest every 3 years or so haha! Seems like between the wind/hail/late frost/bugs/etc it takes lots of things to go correctly in order to get a good peach crop. That has been our experience anyway.

leo78lion

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Chicago Hardy in the front yard and JUST got the little plastic thingies to use to get a tree to form a root ball on a stem so you can propagate more trees. If I plant a couple in a spot in the chicken pen then it can provide shade for the chickens and figs for me 😁 (I'll let the chickens have the ones on the bottom.)

AND ... Did you know fig leaves are EDIBLE??!?!? And you can make syrup with them??
https://emilyfabulous.com/fig-leaf-syrup/
Would love info on " little plastic thingies to use to get a tree to form a root ball on a stem so you can propagate more trees."

Latest posts

Top Bottom