Warning a potential attacker that you are armed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was recently reading on another forum a post from someone who was confronted with an aggressive, angry man relating to a road rage incident.
The person with the CCW successfully defused the situation and the aggressor got in his vehicle and left. In the story he posted he stated that he warned the man he was armed. This got me to thinking:

Is it legally or tactically a good move to warn a potential attacker that you are armed? Putting myself in the situation he described (the angry man had a knife in a sheath on his belt and had approached to about 10 yards) I thought the warning was a good strategy. It probably was key in convincing the aggressor to move on.

Good idea? Bad idea? I know situations will vary.

Don't recall seeing this discussed before and inquiring minds want to know what others think?

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he pulled the knife out and kept getting closer then I would warn him and if he still kept coming then I'd draw, but if he wasn't reaching for the knife or anything I see no reason for him to know. Kind of just sounds like he tried to scare the guy away in fear of getting into a fight perhaps.

I think the smart thing would to have been to stay in the car and wait for the police to arrive to avoid all issues.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not giving a warning. I don't see the fact that I'm armed needing to play a role in their decision to attack me. I'm not inviting them. But if they buy the ticket, give them the ride.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the smart thing would to have been to stay in the car and wait for the police to arrive to avoid all issues.

I agree and if I were able to get in my car or were in my car I probably wouldn't wait on police but would leave. The man was walking across a parking lot and his girlfriend was in the car.

I want to focus primarily on the warning that I am armed. Something like this: STOP! Do not come any closer. (hand on grip of pistol still in holster) I am armed!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1,000 the best tactical move is to avoid confrontation

First I'm no Gunslinger, just Trained
Second I dont want to fight an angry man with a knife (you will get cut)
Third I dont Want to shoot an angry man with a knife (you will get cut at that distance)
Fourth I have a 4,000 lb weapon/retreat at my disposal (use it)
Opinion I carry a weapon to protect me and mine, I can end the conflict...I walk or drive away I have nothing to prove.

.....Without changing the scenerio...

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of this would depend on the person's attitude and body language. Assuming you can't get to your vehicle or retreat any other way (and that the subject hasn't drawn his knife) having your hand on your gun and giving a verbal warning seems appropriate. If he continues to approach or reach for the knife, the time for talking is over.

If you are ready to draw your gun, I don't think verbally warning him would put you at a tactical disadvantage, and it might make him stop. If there's a chance it could stop a fight/shooting, without putting you at risk, it's worth trying IMO.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless he was Spiderman or Superman he couldnt catch me anyways,so no need to warn anybody when IMO my ultimate responsibility is to run or diffuse the situation as best as I can so everyone involved stays safe and out of jail. I will be trying to call 911 for help to cool the siuation if I was just minding my own business and was being followed by some hot head road rager. I'm 5'10"x275 solid and a former boxer but I know that no hand to hand altercation these days turns out well. That was the old days when you either whipped someones ass and left or you took an asswhooping and went your seperate ways.

I guess if backed into a corner and there is no way to escape or call for help and I am threatened with a deadly weapon of any kind, then all bets are off. I will warn first. Show second. Shoot as a last resort.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess if backed into a corner and there is no way to escape or call for help and I am threatened with a deadly weapon of any kind, then all bets are off. I will warn first. Show second. Shoot as a last resort.

+1

If at all possible, a confrontation will be avoided. But if it comes down to it and warning someone may end the confrontation without bloodshed, then that is what should happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom