Warning a potential attacker that you are armed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If he pulled the knife out and kept getting closer then I would warn him and if he still kept coming then I'd draw, but if he wasn't reaching for the knife or anything I see no reason for him to know. Kind of just sounds like he tried to scare the guy away in fear of getting into a fight perhaps.

I think the smart thing would to have been to stay in the car and wait for the police to arrive to avoid all issues.

then youd already be dead b4 you could draw, find your target , and fire.

you see a knife in the hand of an aggressive person, back up, shoot, then call the police

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the smart thing would to have been to stay in the car and wait for the police to arrive to avoid all issues.

As a Police Officer who has been in violent encounters I can say that this is not the best sound decision when your safety is involved. It will take police time to respond. Violent encounters are very fluid and happen very fast in just seconds. I would not choose to enclose myself in a car and decrease my ability for movement in essence I am a sitting duck if the other person decides to attack. I would opt to drive away and if that is not an option I would get out of the coffin on wheels. Once Outside I would create distance and seek cover while on the phone to Police and watching the individual. If the person keeps advancing I would tell the person to stay back loudly and several times so other possible witnesses present could hear me and see me I would even use body language so those people present whom could not hear me could see me with my arms extended in the universal sign of "stop or stay back"

when It comes time to brandish my fire arm I am not going to give any warning. Just because I see a knife on the persons hip does not mean he doesn't have a gun in the pocket. But the fact that you can see a weapon on the persons's hip goes into your mindset and plays into the fact that you are in Fear for your life or the life of another. I want the element of surprise and I want to be the first one with the gun out. I don't want to do anything that would tip the other person off that I was getting ready to deploy my CCW and give them the opportunity to pull theirs.

there have been extensive study's done on knife versus gun and a person within 21 feet can pull a knife, close distance, and stab before someone can pull and use their CCW in almost all the instances.

Once the police do arrive explain to them that you attempted to get away and or create distance, you told them to stay back (and you have witnesses backing that up), you observed a weapon on the persons side (note any movement they make toward the weapon), Take note of what they are saying to you are they making any threats are they cursing your ect.., They made aggressive advances to you even after you told them to stay back, and you were in fear for your life or the life of another.

Do not tell the person you have a gun and you are willing to use it...Just pull the gun when it is appropriate and defend yourself because at this point you did everything you could to avoid the violent encounter and are left with only the one option of defending yourself.

Just my thoughts.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a Police Officer who has been in violent encounters I can say that this is not the best sound decision when your safety is involved. It will take police time to respond. Violent encounters are very fluid and happen very fast in just seconds. I would not choose to enclose myself in a car and decrease my ability for movement in essence I am a sitting duck if the other person decides to attack. I would opt to drive away and if that is not an option I would get out of the coffin on wheels. Once Outside I would create distance and seek cover while on the phone to Police and watching the individual. If the person keeps advancing I would tell the person to stay back loudly and several times so other possible witnesses present could hear me and see me I would even use body language so those people present whom could not hear me could see me with my arms extended in the universal sign of "stop or stay back"

when It comes time to brandish my fire arm I am not going to give any warning. Just because I see a knife on the persons hip does not mean he doesn't have a gun in the pocket. But the fact that you can see a weapon on the persons's hip goes into your mindset and plays into the fact that you are in Fear for your life or the life of another. I want the element of surprise and I want to be the first one with the gun out. I don't want to do anything that would tip the other person off that I was getting ready to deploy my CCW and give them the opportunity to pull theirs.

there have been extensive study's done on knife versus gun and a person within 21 feet can pull a knife, close distance, and stab before someone can pull and use their CCW in almost all the instances.

Once the police do arrive explain to them that you attempted to get away and or create distance, you told them to stay back (and you have witnesses backing that up), you observed a weapon on the persons side (note any movement they make toward the weapon), Take note of what they are saying to you are they making any threats are they cursing your ect.., They made aggressive advances to you even after you told them to stay back, and you were in fear for your life or the life of another.

Do not tell the person you have a gun and you are willing to use it...Just pull the gun when it is appropriate and defend yourself because at this point you did everything you could to avoid the violent encounter and are left with only the one option of defending yourself.

Just my thoughts.

I like this guy!!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would give em one to the hip as a warning...

Ok in all serousness MABB and spd67 have pretty much summed it up.

If you have time to warn someone you have time to take more apropriate action.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

For what it's worth, the NRA Personal Defense Course characterizes "There are five possible responses to any life-threatening encounter: freeze, submit, posture, flight or fight. Your attacker very likely has one or more contingency plans for a confrontation before it starts."

"If an attacker continues to approach you and you perceive an imminent threat to your life, you must defend yourself appropriately."

Seems clear and consistent with the previous post.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that giving a warning of being armed or flashing the holstered pistol would be considered brandishing. My understanding has been that you can't give them a clue you have a pistol until it's time to draw and fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom