Weapons sign outside of outlet mall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the wife and kids today to the outlet mall of I40 this morning. We took the council exit, entering the mall on the west side. Once I turned town 2nd street I believe, heading East towards the mall there is a sign that said "private property, no weapons allowed" with a line going through a gun icon.

One of my questions is there is a BJs and a small Mathis brothers store between that sign and the mall. Does somebody own all of that land, and that sign is referring to everything?

I guess my problem is I'm not sure where no weapons are allowed. No weapons just by that sign?? I would think they should put a sign up at every store in the mall, or have a sign once you are walking in. Is there any law stating how close a sign has to be to a business to outlaw weapons, or if it's private propert once you enter it a sign on the street is valid.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any law stating how close a sign has to be to a business to outlaw weapons, or if it's private propert once you enter it a sign on the street is valid.

In Oklahoma there is no signage law about how you post private property to prohibit taking your concealed gun.
If you are found armed on posted private property and refuse to leave when asked, you are subject to arrest for trespass.
IANAL, and you need a qualified one to answer your exact question, which would rely on case law and opinion.
Oh yes, you can keep your gun in your car in the parking lot regardless of any sign.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't restrict in parking lots. If concealing your firearm, treat the signs on the doors as suggestions and keep it concealed. If you are asked to leave my an employee or security because someone notices you printing, comply or face a trespassing charge if a police officer is called to the scene.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't restrict in parking lots. If concealing your firearm, treat the signs on the doors as suggestions and keep it concealed. If you are asked to leave my an employee or security because someone notices you printing, comply or face a trespassing charge if a police officer is called to the scene.
^^^^^^This. The signs don't have the force of law in Oklahoma.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are found armed on posted private property and refuse to leave when asked, you are subject to arrest for trespass.

I could be wrong, but didn't this change last November? Read TITLE 21 § 1290.22 section D from the SDA Law book. Again....I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in.....

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but didn't this change last November? Read TITLE 21 § 1290.22 section D from the SDA Law book. Again....I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in.....

Is there something confusing about this???

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The law was somewhat unclear before last Nov. 1st. The changes specified the circumstances that you could be charged with trespass. Now they would have to notify you to leave and you would have to refuse with a peace officer summoned to receive a $250 fine but nothing else. Before you could theoretically be charged for trespass without notification though I don't know that it was ever done. Basically ignore the signs at private businesses and leave if asked. But as they say, concealed is concealed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's it. No arrest, a ticket for trespassing IF and ONLY IF they see it AND ask you to leave AND you refuse (stupid) AND an LEO is summoned and tickets you.

So... ignore, conceal, and if noticed and ASKED to leave, then do so. That's it. Nothing illegal about it, and they cannot prohibit weapons in your car in a parking lot regardless - per state law.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never even pay attention to no guns signs anymore since the new law. Now of course I won't carry on city state or federal prohibited places. When are these places going to learn that those stupid signs are worthless? It takes some real stupidity to believe they deter any crime. This is another topic but I went to the Warren theater for the first time last weekend to the imax and on the door it said no open carry. Why can't places be like that? If they don't want firearms scaring their customers just make people conceal them. And it's not like there are that many people that OC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom