Weaver scope question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcob68

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've always liked Leupold scopes but they are getting very expensive. I've been looking at the Weaver Grand slams and V- series and was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with any and what their thoughts on them as far as quality, clarity and how would they compare to a Leupold.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes are, according to internet rumor, made in the same factory as Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series scopes in Japan. They were previously manfufactured under the name Nitrex, the Nitrex TR1 being the Grand Slam and the Nitrex TR2 being the Super Slam.

I bought a Nitrex TR 2 3.5-15x50 on closeout from Natchez and am quite pleased with it, though my only other scope experience has been with Nikon and much older Weavers. Mine came in a Weaver branded box if that is of any importance. I'm not sure if the only difference between the two lines might be the turrets and side focus as I have no way to compare the two. That being said, while the TR2's are sold out on Natchez, they still have an abundance of TR1's and while I'm scoped up at the moment, I've thought about ordering a TR1 just to have around. If you don't want or need the target style turrets, I would look heavily at the TR1's.

Actually, I'm very happy with the scope especially considering the price after rebate: $179.

The only negatives I can really think of are 1) purple fringing in out of focus areas bothers me but doesn't hinder use at 15x 2) at 15x it is a little sensitive to eye placement, but this seems to be the norm at that level of magnification.

Edit: Natchez does still have the TR2 2-10 in stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom