Well, lets see em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
congrats dennis, on yet another fine harvest. keep up the work! i have been debating on that model of scope, between a mill dot or something like the NP-R1, R2 reticle i just have not decided, let me me know how it works out for ya.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weatherby said:
Dennis, you can go to Nikon's website and print off the BDC chart for the particular round that you are using and the model of scope you have. Each circle is marked with the approximate yardage. I did this for both my weatherbys and they seem to be pretty accuate up to around 450 (I haven't tried it at farther distances). I keep the chart tucked inside the ammo holder for quick reference in the field.

How's that R-15 treating you? I've had my eye on one of those, but can't find one cheap enough to pull the trigger just yet.

It built by bushmaster for Remington. I've got several thousand rounds through it so far, and it's ran flawlessly.
I am planning on getting a better trigger for it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I understand "actually found" is "beyond reasonable doubt." 8 chickens are missing, dogs make sure that skunks, coons and coyotes stay away from the house. We usually don't have bobcats on the property, and chickens don't disappear for no reason either. If I had any doubt that this guy moved in next to chicken pen for other reason than our chickens, I wouldn't have killed it.

I'll check with wildlife department - to make sure that my interpretation is correct.

My apologies if you found my behavior unsportsmanlike - I do my best to follow the rules/laws to a tee.

As your attorney, I'm going to say that argument might not hold up if you were in court. To quote you, "actually found" is "beyond a reasonable doubt". Let's switch this to people instead of chickens and bobcats. Little Timmy disappeared from his bedroom. As the parent, you make sure all the child killers are kept away. Yet when Little Timmy disappeared, you shot and killed a male adult in the area, because he was "capable" of taking poor little Timmy from his bed. That does not mean he did it, as you did not catch him in the act, and there is reasonable doubt as to his guilt. You'd probably be prosecuted for it because you had no proof. Same goes for the bobcat. He is capable of it, but he was not witnessed killing chickens, there was no proof mentioned that he was the one killing chickens, he was only seen in the area where the chickens disappeared.

I'm only ribbing you here, and not judging... just playing devil's advocate. :) You are the one that pulled the trigger, so I'm going to assume you made the correct judgement.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As your attorney, I'm going to say that argument might not hold up if you were in court. To quote you, "actually found" is "beyond a reasonable doubt". Let's switch this to people instead of chickens and bobcats. Little Timmy disappeared from his bedroom. As the parent, you make sure all the child killers are kept away. Yet when Little Timmy disappeared, you shot and killed a male adult in the area, because he was "capable" of taking poor little Timmy from his bed. That does not mean he did it, as you did not catch him in the act, and there is reasonable doubt as to his guilt. You'd probably be prosecuted for it because you had no proof. Same goes for the bobcat. He is capable of it, but he was not witnessed killing chickens, there was no proof mentioned that he was the one killing chickens, he was only seen in the area where the chickens disappeared.

I'm only ribbing you here, and not judging... just playing devil's advocate. :) You are the one that pulled the trigger, so I'm going to assume you made the correct judgement.

Timmy disappeared - there is a registered sex offender in the back yard ... do I apprehend the trespasser or do I need to wait till another child disappears? LOL

As I said - you guys got me worried on my judgement, so I called the people who write the laws to clear it up.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Roos--

As one who lost over a dozen chickens last year to what I assumed was bobcat.....( I caught the bobcat in the act of running off with a hen 4 times), I can most definitely agree with taking care of the 26lb killing machine. Now if you are in a stand 10 miles from your house and see a bobcat, you probably can't reasonably say "that is the one"... I would have to somewhat agree with your post/analogy... For me... If I see a bobcat on my property it could be rough for kitty........

Last edited:

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not sure that is the best comparison. You're saying Male adults are as likely to kill children as bobcats are to kill chickens.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long time listener (Lurker), first time poster, have followed this forum for quite awhile now and really enjoy the discussion and updates on what's what in the Oklahoma outdoors. Figured it was time to sign up and post. Sunday morning of the rifle opener I hunted a new farm I just recently got permission to hunt on, have seen some does out there and 1 decent 8 point while bow hunting. I made me a little ground blind in a blown down tree and was just covered up in deer from first light on. It was one of the best mornings for deer movement I have had in a long time, a bunch of does and several different bucks, a forkie, a spike, a six point, what would have been a shooter 9 or 10 but his whole left side was broken off, a big 8 that I could not get stopped and then this fella that came in about 9 am with a hot doe. She stepped out of an oak flat into the clearing I was sitting on, I could tell immediately she had somebody behind her, she kept taking those nervous looks over her shoulder, he steps out and little miss doe had his full attention. He gave me a shot at 85 yds and the old Remington model 788 in .308 put him down on the spot. I love that rifle. He is not the biggest buck by any means but I am happy to have him. 157 pounds dressed, 5x7 12 point. It was a really fun morning.

i915.photobucket.com_albums_ac353_CESooner_201112point.jpg

Fast forward to Thanksgiving morning, I had the chance to take my nephew out hunting...he has been hunting since he was 10 or 11 and has killed a couple of does but has never had the opportunity to kill a buck. He just turned 21 and by all accounts he is just a great kid. I won't say he had completely lost his interest in hunting but I definitely think he was starting to. I took him to a spot on one of the farms I hunt and sat with him in a homemade blown down tree blind, we had several does and young bucks come through and then about 8:30 a decent 10 point steps out, he had us pinned down so we had to hold still and wait him out for what seemed like forever. I swear you could hear both of our hearts pounding as we held our breath, finally he looks away, I tell my nephew go, go, go... to get into position, he eases up, gets a good rest and takes the shot at around 75 yards...the deer mule kicks and runs about 40 yards where we find him piled up. A perfect lung shot from his dads .270. What a great experience, an awesome morning and a Thanksgiving buck that I am sure neither of us will ever forget. Sorry for the long post, I will keep it shorter in the future. Oh, and his interest in hunting? Back in a big way!

i915.photobucket.com_albums_ac353_CESooner_IMG_1853.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure that is the best comparison. You're saying Male adults are as likely to kill children as bobcats are to kill chickens.

Pardon my poor comparison. However I'm not sure how you gathered from what I said that a male adult is as likely to kill as a bobcat. Both in a human, and a bobcat, you don't know their intentions unless you catch them in the act, and that is exactly my point. If not caught in the act, both would be killed by their capabilities, and NOT the likelihood that they actually did it because there is no proof. But we digress... let's see some more bucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom