What a mess....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhat related question

Ive been wanting to order a laminate thumbhole stock for a Weatherby Vanguard i recently aquired -- Does a Boyds stock absolutely have to be glass bedded or would clearancing it to free float the barrel be alright?
The stock I am working on in the picture is a thumb hole laminate from Boyd’s. It was a huge disappointment for the fit. It would’ve required extensive bedding, whether I wanted to or not.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you using liquid or gel? The gel is way easier to use. Another great product is Devcon. You can get it with aluminum dust in it, it is gray, but actually the best bedding material IMHO. If it's going to be visible maybe not for you.

A trick my old gunsmith buddy taught me is to warm up the barreled action with a torch. (warm - not hot) Use neutral shoe polish on metal as release agent. The warm steel melts the polish and it gets in every nook and cranny. Once cool, it's semi-solid again.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My dad I used to bed our M77 and any custom mausers we built. It's definitely one of those tasks that the more you do, the easier it gets. Back when a guy could pick up a used M77 is good condition for $200-$300, we made a pretty good habit of it.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vaseline is a fine release agent It will make your work so much easier if you plan on bedding a gun. I much prefer to pay someone else but I did it a few times back when mauser actions were dirt cheap and I was too due to limited budget.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They used to make some stuff called micro -bed I liked it the best. Don't know if they still make it. For release agent it's tough to beat kiwi neutral shoe polish paste and an old tooth brush.
If you got access to equipment make guide rods out of about 1/4 inch drill rod 3-4 inch long as guides replacing the trigger guard screws. Get some surgical tubing to lock receiver and trigger guard in place.
I've bedded dozens and dozens over the past 45 years and never had a bad one yet.
And I used modeling clay to protect the necessary voids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom