What about walking to your stand in the morning??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one morning that stands out in my mind was many years ago at Gruber. Did the normal thing of trying to be very quiet and limited use of my flashlight. When I did find my stand I would always shine my light up the tree to make sure the steps were still in place and everything looked good. That one morning when I shined my light I actually lit up a POS hunter that was setting in my stand. Everything pretty well went down hill from there.:pissed:

Care to share some more of the details? I'm curious.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only a deer hunter can understand that satisfaction of looking up and spotting your tree stand after a long walk in the dark. And when you get settled in that stand with your bow set up and ready, and you just kinda set back, take a deep breath and start listening to the sounds around you. Nothing like it my friends.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was walking to my stand along the water's edge one morning when I came around a bend. Woke up a great-blue heron who screached and squawked as he took off 10 feet from me. I was in the water up to my knees before I knew it with my bow at full draw. Had a good chuckle.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How many times have you guys gone hunting with a friend, familymember, etc. at the last moment and the only directions to the deerstand is his finger pointing from the dark seat of the truck? You know that you cross two creeks, veer right and follow the fence but somehow you always end up several hundred yards away wandering aimlessly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've stepped into a covey of quail, or a nesting pheasant a couple of times. Thats a heart attack in the making.
Drew out on a bow hunt at Salt Plains once. Found where a brush pile had been pushed up when a new fence was getting put up.
It had a perfect spot in it that a guy could get into and still draw the bow. Walked in there during the night, and got in place. Just before daylight, noises kept coming from inside. Something moving.
Right at the crack of dawn, the noise came right by me, and left the brush pile. It was a big old fat rattler that had just eaten something.
Just knew his brother was going to be in there, so while almost shatting my pants, I bailed out, and left the area.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing violent happened. I ask him how he liked the deer stand and he actually starting bragging on it like it was his. I then started saying(probably in a loud voice) how he needed to take his bullshi$ somewhere else and get out of my stand. He then actually never got out of sight and just climbed another tree. I waited until about good hunting time and crawled out and let my stand fall to the ground. I was some kind of P.O. Never went back to Grapevine Mountain again.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing violent happened. I ask him how he liked the deer stand and he actually starting bragging on it like it was his. I then started saying(probably in a loud voice) how he needed to take his bullshi$ somewhere else and get out of my stand. He then actually never got out of sight and just climbed another tree. I waited until about good hunting time and crawled out and let my stand fall to the ground. I was some kind of P.O. Never went back to Grapevine Mountain again.

whew, im glad ya cleared that up. A long time ago, i found an old, half rotted deerstand at Gruber. Got there early, climbed up, then seen a flashlight comming. He sat at the bottom of the tree, till i coughed, then he said sorry and left.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How about walking to your stand on opening morning and realizing you are completely lost (before gps)?? Done that a few times, man that can get a person upset after all the preparation, scouting, getting up at 4:00am and you end up stumbling around in the woods looking for something that's looks familiar.

lol been there done that

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wading thru a swamp and jumped a bunch of ducks. That will make you wet your pants! I didn't know that my cell phone, on vibrate, fell in one of my rubber boots while I was walking thru some brush and my wife calls. I jump and dance and squealled like a 6 year old girl. I just knew I had been bitten by a snake! I walked up on a truck, on a old logging road, and looked inside. I saw two naked bodies and I knew they were not married to each other! I knocked on the window and laughed my butt off as I continued to my stand! The truck left in a hurry!

Latest posts

Top Bottom