What caliber for Hog hunting in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-30 will do just fine. If you run em with dogs, a pistol will suffice. Traps, a good shot with a 22 rifle will suffice. You laying out and shooting out into a pasture longer than a 30-30, then get a longer distance rifle, but a 30-30 will do just fine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For some reason, some think hogs are armored vehicles with no central nervous system, lol. Well constructed bullet, shot placement, from .223 and up.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason, some think hogs are armored vehicles with no central nervous system, lol. Well constructed bullet, shot placement, from .223 and up.

LOL, some do don't they. My gramps could drop em with a 22 out to 50 yards or so, with a old pump rifle and shorts, quiet. We raised hogs growing up and he would pop em and never disturb the others, when people would stop by and want one to eat. They would chose which one they wanted and he would never get in the pen, drop one, and send us boys in to drag it out.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bad shot placement and a .416 Rigby won't make a quick kill. I have seen several killed with a well placed shot in the head region with a .22 Mag and .17HMR (Exact spot is best shown). Either weapon you mentioned will work great with good shot placement.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who in his right mind would think a .45-70 wouldn't work? Nothin' says BACON like a half-inch, 300-grain slug moving at 2000fps.

I bought my .45-70 specifically for hogs. "Thumper" does a fine job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who in his right mind would think a .45-70 wouldn't work? Nothin' says BACON like a half-inch, 300-grain slug moving at 2000fps.

I bought my .45-70 specifically for hogs. "Thumper" does a fine job.

Elmer Keith was a proponent of nothing smaller than a .450 weatherby magnum for prairie dogs.

He would have scoffed at your weak cartridge. :D

No bullet was big enough in his honored opinion.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The internet has taught a whole new generation that shooting a hog with anything smaller than a .308 is useless, a black bear requires a .338 Win Mag, a moose will laugh at anything smaller than a .375 H&H and the great bears of the Alaskan coasts are strictly .500 Nitro Express or larger. If your home defense ammo doesn't penetrate a bad guy wearing five layers of denim, a winter parka and then go through an interior wall, exterior wall and lodge itself in the spine of your neighbor sitting in his recliner then you are screwed if someone breaks in. It's a total myth that bad guys were actually stopped in the days before ammo met the FBI's penetration standard!! Myth!! Myth!!!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.fototime.com_D1FD32F41C7706D_orig.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom