What caliber for Hog hunting in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Elmer Keith was a proponent of nothing smaller than a .450 weatherby magnum for prairie dogs.

He would have scoffed at your weak cartridge. :D

No bullet was big enough in his honored opinion.

I remember reading some of his pieces and you are correct. Skeeter Skelton was almost as bad, but I thought a lot more fun to read. :D

You guys are way off track here. The OP is crying for help and we need to help him. If this man needs justification to buy a new rifle, it's our responsibility to help him.

Sir, no rifle or caliber you own will work with hogs. Actually, it's dangerous for you to go up against even the smallest pig with what you have. Please be safe and buy a new rifle. You'll need a gun in a caliber that you don't own and cannot borrow. And, you need to do so quickly. Be safe.

Well said and I totally agree.

Seriously the only time I have shot a wild hog was with my old Brit 303 and they dropped just fine. It has also taken some hogs for family members.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 between the eyes will do the job every time.

IMG_2428.JPG

or even the butt.

IMG_2434.JPG

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get into the 350 pound hogs like out in west TX, you better have something more than a 30-30. Very tough hide and shoulder blades. A 7mm mag does work on these.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.yumyucky.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_hogzilla.jpg

^^^
One wonders if that fella was taken with a .223 between the eyes.

Personally - if I ran into that in the woods and all I had was a 223 I'd toss the sucker an apple and hope it kept him busy long enough to get the hell out of DODGE!

"FEET! Don't fail me now!"

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.yumyucky.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_hogzilla.jpg

^^^
One wonders if that fella was taken with a .223 between the eyes.

Personally - if I ran into that in the woods and all I had was a 223 I'd toss the sucker an apple and hope it kept him busy long enough to get the hell out of DODGE!

"FEET! Don't fail me now!"
Nice Photoshop. If that were real it would be pushing 800+ pounds. Gee, is that guy holding up that head? Head has to weigh 300 alone. Lmao
seriously, I butchered. 360 pound hog last spring and it was 1/3 of this.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Photoshop. If that were real it would be pushing 800+ pounds. Gee, is that guy holding up that head? Head has to weigh 300 alone. Lmao
seriously, I butchered. 360 pound hog last spring and it was 1/3 of this.

No photoshop on that hog, just forced perspective. But was not killed in these parts either. Killed in Turkey, 781 pounds according to reports.

Latest posts

Top Bottom