What caliber for Hog hunting in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calixt0

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
guns america had an article that named 223 a premier pig round saying they stopped them faster than 12 gauge slugs.. something about speed. Others have said that peticular rag has sold out to ammo makers who sell 223 hog specific rounds. I don't know which is true just repeating what I've heard.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guns america had an article that named 223 a premier pig round saying they stopped them faster than 12 gauge slugs.. something about speed. Others have said that peticular rag has sold out to ammo makers who sell 223 hog specific rounds. I don't know which is true just repeating what I've heard.
Any round and loading suitable for deer is also suitable for hogs. Hogs, unlike deer, offer the opportunity for multiple animals. Using a rifle in .223 makes a lot of sense from an economic and practical standpoint, more so than a .30-06 class rifle; the shooter can hit a hog and quickly get back on target for additional hogs and not worry about recovering brass.

The biggest problem that people make for themselves is not understanding swine biology. They're built a lot more compactly than deer.

i45.photobucket.com_albums_f76_johnnyfire_feralhog1.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is raining this evening, I might go hog hunting. Hmm what gun should I take this time? I might have to check with a buddy that just bought a .50BMG rifle. He can set up with that and I will set up with my 30.06 and I know either will kill a hog if we see a couple.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If it is raining this evening, I might go hog hunting. Hmm what gun should I take this time? I might have to check with a buddy that just bought a .50BMG rifle. He can set up with that and I will set up with my 30.06 and I know either will kill a hog if we see a couple.

We've not had any July evenings like this in years....better take advantage of it. Perfect conditions for video and tracers.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've not had any July evenings like this in years....better take advantage of it.

You got that right. I ran chainsaw yesterday evening, and it was pleasantly hot. Big difference between 85 and 100. Calling for a high of 70 tomorrow, and 2-5 inches of rain, local amounts as much as 8 inches. Not typical July weather for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom