1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

What do Marines do aboard a battleship?

Discussion in 'Media Play' started by SoonerP226, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Duncandl

Duncandl Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Coast Guard height requirement kept me from joining the luxurious life of a Coastie. Usually best “E” Club around, especially the Coastie Club at Barbers Point, Hawaii.

I’m only 5’10” tall but minimum height is 6 foot in case their ship sinks so they can walk back to shore...

Glocktogo, druryj, chadh2o and 4 others like this.
  2. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Got to stay close to shore so we can keep those Navy wives company!

Yea I spent 2 years at Barbers Point. It was tough duty but someone had to do it. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Glocktogo, druryj, O4L and 1 other person like this.
  3. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Go back to post #20 and read at the link provided. I think it said that they were also "militarized" during WWI.

4. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Back on topic, I still think "Each other" was the correct answer.

5. Seadog

Seadog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don’t trust Wikipedia very much. And even it infers they are a part time branch used once in a blue moon. It also said it is one of 8 branches. Besides the new Space Force what the heck are the other 2?

6. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I thought it said six when I looked at it last night, but I know there were eight armed services back in the late ‘80s. There was an armed service under NOAA back then, and it said it was the smallest of the eight. I don’t recall what its name was, but I think it was either disbanded or folded into one of the other services. (I was a meteorology student at the time, and was looking into possible career paths; NOAA looms large on that particular stage, so I was looking into their offerings.)

I never did figure out what the sixth and seventh armed services were.

Seadog likes this.
  7. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well, there was a link in that article at Wikipedia about "uniformed services." Here is a link to THAT Wikipedia article.

Uniformed Services of the United States

From that Wiki article:

"Uniformed services
    The uniformed services are, in order of precedence, when in formations:[10][11]

1. United States Army
    2. United States Marine Corps
    3. United States Navy
    4. United States Air Force
    5. United States Space Force
    6. United States Coast Guard
    7. United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
    8. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps
    Each of the uniformed services is administratively headed by a federal executive department and its corresponding civilian Cabinet leader"

And, just for the record, I also don't put confidence in Wikipedia either. I want to verify some of their "facts" before presuming their articles are true.

Glocktogo likes this.
  8. 1911er

1911er Marksman

Rating
    100%
    Screenshot_20210414-181955.jpg

"Let's screw with these space cadets."

Glocktogo likes this.
  9. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Being a Stinger Gunner in the Corps we got detached all over the place, so I remember bar (and some not bar) fights with squids, army dogs and flyboys. Well, they were more tiffs than fights with the flyboys. ;)

But the overwhelming number of fights? Marine Tow Gunners. :D

We always did appreciate you coffee drinkers giving us a ride! :)

Not just WWII. When I was in the Gulf in '88, we had two USCG minesweepers with us. I had to give them props for sailing their little wooden boats all the way over there. They weren't much bigger then the Iranian dhows, and I always wondered how much they leaked being so old!

Edit: It's tough to find much info on the old wooden minesweepers, but they remained in service till around 1991 IIRC. There's a blip about them on this page: USS Guardian and the Navy's Navy's Post-World War II Minesweepers | Naval Historical Foundation (navyhistory.org)

As a Stinger Gunner, our secondary role was forward observer. As such we trained with the FAAC's to call air support and how to call for arty. We even trained on calling naval gunfire. Always wanted to call for fire from a battleship! LOL

You'd be right to question them. Wiki doesn't even mention the coasties who were there when I was in the Gulf: Operation Praying Mantis - Wikipedia

Maybe they're mentioning the unnamed branch flying all those UFO's? :)

Pentagon Confirms Leaked Photos, Video Of Unidentified Flying Objects (yahoo.com)

Didn't know about the NOAA and almost forgot about the hospital ships. Another element we rely on to be fully effective is the Military Sealift Command. While they're ostensibly a department of the Navy, the operative elements are operated by civilian Merchant Marines.

Great thread! :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  10. Seadog

Seadog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I remember the Patriot and Gardian mine sweepers. I remember seeing both of them in the dry docks back in Yahkouska Japan in the mid 90s. I thought the were cool looking little ships. I had no idea they were Coasties or that they were old WWII ships. Must have been majorly retrofitted because I’m good at aging ships by their design and they didn’t look it at the time. I did know that they were made of wood. It was under Dinglebarrys administration that one of them ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef. Instead of saving the ship they chopped it up on sight with chains and barges. I still think it could have been saved. But they were more concerned about the stupid reef.

I came real close to joining up in the merchant marines in the military sealift command and getting my seaman’s license. Twist of fate and things not going based planned so that chapter never happened.

Most all of their ships used to be active duty ships. They are predominantly US Navy ships with a small complement of active duty officers in command with crew being civil service. The last ship I served on is now part of the military sealift command and as far as I know is the last tender in service.