What Do You Think About This Mini-Sub deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid articles all around. Dumb questions from the reporters. "Oh my gosh, you mean the hatch is sealed shut with 17 bolts that can be only removed from the outside?" at a depth of 12,000 feet it would be moronic to open the hatch. A styrofoam coffee cup is crushed to the size of a thimble at that depth. Even the passengers Rolex's will not survive, the average Modern Submariner can only survive a depth of 300 Meters or 1,000 Feet.

Could the passengers aboard the submersible be alive? Possibly assuming the passenger compartment is still intact, however the water is very cold at that depth.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid articles all around. Dumb questions from the reporters. "Oh my gosh, you mean the hatch is sealed shut with 17 bolts that can be only removed from the outside?" at a depth of 12,000 feet it would be moronic to open the hatch. A styrofoam coffee cup is crushed to the size of a thimble at that depth. Even the passengers Rolex's will not survive, the average Modern Submariner can only survive a depth of 300 Meters or 1,000 Feet.

Could the passengers aboard the submersible be alive? Possibly assuming the passenger compartment is still intact, however the water is very cold at that depth.
I have no idea what this submarine story is, but it sounds like that guy should have upgraded his Rolex to the Rolex Deepsea Challenge, good down to 39090 feet.

https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watches/sea-dweller/deepsea-challenge

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If the sub suffered some malfunction, but could still surface, wouldn't the bolt issue be relevant? I don't know enough about it to know if it can bring in outside air on the surface without opening the hatch. Or is the 40 hours of remaining air all they get, regardless of being above or below the water?

It was only a few years ago we lost an entire airliner without a trace, so it's clear that there are times (even now) when emergency alert systems fail. But again, just pondering aloud.

Latest posts

Top Bottom