What Do You Think About This Mini-Sub deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are we laughing at this? Why do we not feel for the passengers? Typically we love adventurers and respect them.

1) Sub's name was "Titan." Coincidently the same name as a ship in a book written in 1896 about a ship that was "unsinkable" the approximate size of the Titanic that sunk having hit an iceberg.
2) Very wealthy people with a history of DEI and ESG which is killing poor and middle class folks visiting a ship that the wealthy had a better chance of surviving because they were not locked below deck since they did not let the "poor" out until the lifeboats were gone. Even more ironic the company killed them with the implementation of DEI.
3) People who always get the best of everything willingly boarded a vessel that arguably had the worst accommodations and worst technology in the industry. The tech they used was faulty to begin with.
4) They signed a waiver that basically said "your gonna die."
5) The people aboard the vessel argue for lots of government regulations to save us, yet chose a totally unregulated vessel.
6) Very few have ever heard of these billionaires, but through class warfare we hate billionaires.
7) A 20 something incompetent/inexperienced captain in charge of a potentially hazardous voyage leading people that are supposed to be competent in their field of business
8) The passengers wouldn't care if this happened to us.
9) The people the company railed against are trying to save them.
10) At least the skipper of "The USS Minnow" had naval experience, and his first mate tried to look the part and be competent at his job.
11) Not one safety device on board the titan, not even a pfd. Have a boat, the Coast Guard would fine you up the ying yang.

Many more things can be said, I think I have covered them all. I give those with dark humor a pass.

Dangerousways

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really think that is unlikely, most likely it is far below the surface, neutrally buoyant, or it sunk like an anchor. Trapped inside? No doubt.

Any Navy Submariners on OK Shooters? Really curious to see what they have to say. Navy Submariners have been under the ocean at great depth and perhaps in the proximity of a nuclear reactor using U-235 as fuel, while worrying about russian subs, if that's not under pressure I do not know what is!
just like on a big sub, if your too deep and you lose hull integrity or critical systems your not coming home. it may take awhile but your luck will run out/ mechanical failure just like the space shuttle or concorde or any of the other subs that have been lost. I served onboard the USS James Madison SSBN627 Gold crew, USS San Jaun SSN 751, USS Simon Lake AS-33.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two things that have never turned me on- being up real high or being much deeper than 10'- everyone to their own thing, but I don't even like the thought of getting on a plane, even though it's safer than car at any time. You would think the government would have better controls on this stuff, so they don't take a chance on loosing future revenue from these richy folks. - I pray for their souls anyway.

Last edited:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are we laughing at this? Why do we not feel for the passengers? Typically we love adventurers and respect them.

1) Sub's name was "Titan." Coincidently the same name as a ship in a book written in 1896 about a ship that was "unsinkable" the approximate size of the Titanic that sunk having hit an iceberg.
2) Very wealthy people with a history of DEI and ESG which is killing poor and middle class folks visiting a ship that the wealthy had a better chance of surviving because they were not locked below deck since they did not let the "poor" out until the lifeboats were gone. Even more ironic the company killed them with the implementation of DEI.
3) People who always get the best of everything willingly boarded a vessel that arguably had the worst accommodations and worst technology in the industry. The tech they used was faulty to begin with.
4) They signed a waiver that basically said "your gonna die."
5) The people aboard the vessel argue for lots of government regulations to save us, yet chose a totally unregulated vessel.
6) Very few have ever heard of these billionaires, but through class warfare we hate billionaires.
7) A 20 something incompetent/inexperienced captain in charge of a potentially hazardous voyage leading people that are supposed to be competent in their field of business
8) The passengers wouldn't care if this happened to us.
9) The people the company railed against are trying to save them.
10) At least the skipper of "The USS Minnow" had naval experience, and his first mate tried to look the part and be competent at his job.
11) Not one safety device on board the titan, not even a pfd. Have a boat, the Coast Guard would fine you up the ying yang.

Many more things can be said, I think I have covered them all. I give those with dark humor a pass.
I do feel for the people on board, but a reasonably objective person could look at this and should have been very very weary of a sub that uses a $30 game controller for critical navigation underwater.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023...anic-used-a-30-logitech-gamepad-for-steering/
I mean….. this seems like a bad idea

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sorta-kinda agree with Mike Glover’s take on the dark humor, and we should remember that those are people with families who will never get to see them again, but by the same token, gallows humor is a very old-guard Okie thing.

I remember the gallows humor of the oil bust in the early ‘80s, with gems like:
Will the last person leaving Oklahoma please turn out the lights?
and:
I bank at FDIC. New branches opening daily!

Maybe we were a tougher lot back then, but the general attitude was “you can cry about it or you can laugh about it, so you might as well laugh.“

Then again, some people are just a-holes.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sorta-kinda agree with Mike Glover’s take on the dark humor, and we should remember that those are people with families who will never get to see them again, but by the same token, gallows humor is a very old-guard Okie thing.

I remember the gallows humor of the oil bust in the early ‘80s, with gems like:
Will the last person leaving Oklahoma please turn out the lights?
and:
I bank at FDIC. New branches opening daily!

Maybe we were a tougher lot back then, but the general attitude was “you can cry about it or you can laugh about it, so you might as well laugh.“

Then again, some people are just a-holes.

I guess I fall into the assholes group. I do sympathize for their families but at the same time, I'm reminded of this. Pay attention to the lyrics...

Latest posts

Top Bottom