What is the best way for long term water storage and water purification in the field?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much of the pool shock do you add to a gallon of H2O to purify it? I know that when you put too much bleach into your water it tends to run out the other end rather quickly...........LOL

OKC9 has got it down on the pool shock recipe. And the Big Berkey system is basically what you and I are doing with our 5 gallon buckets and the ceramic candle filter.

Here's a vid on a homemade Berkey system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21d_YXiOOU

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For long term storage I use the earth, because I’m on a well, but I do have some containers if needed. The whole setup for a well is simple and requires minimal upkeep. But I still keep bleach and iodine around because of the many uses for them besides just water purification. If I didn't have a well I probably store the water in a food grade container treating it before I seal it shut with bleach, before I used it, I would treat it again.

For field use, I prefer using the Katadyn pocket filter which is rated for 13,000 gallons of filtration. The Katadyn’s enjoy an excellent reputation and are widely used by those who use filters hard. It has been my experience that they live up to the hype, except the Mybottle, which is in my opinion not intended for anything other than yuppie use. I own the Combi, Pocket, Mini, and Mybottle models. Something to remember, they are filters and not purifiers, which is something to keep in mind because there is a difference.

There really is no one perfect method to get drinking water anywhere you go. IMHO, it is best to learn what the strengths and weaknesses are of your preferred system and adjust as necessary. What I mean by that is, if I filter some water that I suspect might have some farm chemical runoff in it, I would attach a carbon prefilter onto the intake of my Katadyn. Or if there is a potential of viruses in the water (not likely this far north) then I might treat the water chemically or boil it after filtration. Just know what you got and how to use it.

Thanks jakerz, I didn’t’ know about making bleach with shock that might come in handy someday.

JamestheJust

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Beer is a good way to use the funky water. But in all seriousness, have you al heard of "aquamira"? It's a commercially available water treatment for long term storage.

The pioneers would also use silver to preserve water by dropping silver coins in their water supply. Nowadays we can use a silver solution-colloidal silver- as a viable long term storage solution. In fact the crap has many beneficial uses.

I'm planning on just using the aquamira in 55 gal drums unless I hear bad reports if it from you all.

For backwoods use I got a pur brand hand filter that I've used all over the mountains and deserts in the Southwest and Sierras. Never got sick.

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there is some concern (for some people) about drinking water that has been chemically purified; I hadn't though to much about this prior to this thread. I was thinking why not (if its an issue) filter the water first through a ceramic filter, then chemically treat it, then filter it through a carbon filter to remove said chemical. Is this not an option?

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there is some concern (for some people) about drinking water that has been chemically purified; I hadn't though to much about this prior to this thread. I was thinking why not (if its an issue) filter the water first through a ceramic filter, then chemically treat it, then filter it through a carbon filter to remove said chemical. Is this not an option?

If you filter it through a good filter there is no need to do anymore treating unless you suspect there are viruses or chemicals in the water. But the water needs to stay pretty warm year round for viruses to be a problem which that doesn't happen around here. If the water has a bad smell, or you suspect some chemical contamination, and no other are choices available, then use an additional carbon element on the ceramic filter and you should be good to go, YMMV. :twocents:

(Disclaimer: if you drink some nasty water and some body part falls off, or you die, or something else happens don't blame me) :nono1:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you filter it through a good filter there is no need to do anymore treating unless you suspect there are viruses or chemicals in the water. But the water needs to stay pretty warm year round for viruses to be a problem which that doesn't happen around here. If the water has a bad smell, or you suspect some chemical contamination, and no other are choices available, then use an additional carbon element on the ceramic filter and you should be good to go, YMMV. :twocents:

(Disclaimer: if you drink some nasty water and some body part falls off, or you die, or something else happens don't blame me) :nono1:

This made me LOL ... I drank some bad water once (LAST time I trust somebody who says they know what they are doing ... :grumble:) ... I got sick, my cats got sick, my dog got sick ... We were all miserable for about 2 weeks after ... I'm one of those folks who will probably OVER process their water! LOL Cuz I don't EVER want to do that again ... :lookaroun

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Beer is a good way to use the funky water. But in all seriousness, have you al heard of "aquamira"? It's a commercially available water treatment for long term storage.

The pioneers would also use silver to preserve water by dropping silver coins in their water supply. Nowadays we can use a silver solution-colloidal silver- as a viable long term storage solution. In fact the crap has many beneficial uses.

I'm planning on just using the aquamira in 55 gal drums unless I hear bad reports if it from you all.

For backwoods use I got a pur brand hand filter that I've used all over the mountains and deserts in the Southwest and Sierras. Never got sick.

You should look into the pool shock method. It's the best one I have personally found. With the 5lbs I have, I can roughly purify 50,000 gallons of water. For the same price aquamira will only purify 60 gallons. Something to look into at least.

* To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
* To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
* Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom