What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from a two-week trip to Virginia to visit my 92-year-old mother and attend my nephew's wedding. I drove there straight through in 23 hours and 40 minutes including stops covering 1,400 miles. Not easy on a guy turning 70 in a few weeks. What's your road story?
One thing I forget to add was I only had 3.5 hours of sleep before I started the trip.

Last edited:

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_3670.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When reporting to Ft Monmouth NJ, drove my 58 Ford around 1400 or so miles non-stop. The stretch between Indianapolis and Ft Monmouth was with the stick shift transmission locked in third gear. Getting through West Virginia was at night, thank God.
Coming home 6 months later, got a message that my grandpa was about done, so loaded up water and sandwiches behind the grill, in front of the radiator as it was fall to keep cool and headed out.
Called mom after an all-nighter from Missouri and found he had passed. Drove the rest of the way home anyway. 24 hours on that drive.
Those are my two longest.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode my Harley non-stop (except for fuel and potty breaks) from Killeen, TX to Bailey, CO. 988 miles on the trip odometer. Wanted to get that 1000 miles but I was damn near frozen as it was. I figured that was close enough.

I made a round trip from Olustee to Spokane, WA in Sep 2020. I wasn't alone, though. I had 4 Corgis with me in a Chevy Cruze. Almost 3600 miles. On the morning I started back I drove straight thru from Lewiston, ID to Fort Collins, CO. Stopped at a Motel 6 for about 5 hours sleep and then drove straight thru to Olustee.

Probably lucky I survived that one.

Sucked....

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This is not entirely correct as the highway is not completely uninterrupted.

The Pan-American Highway is interrupted between Panama and Colombia by a 106 km (66 mi) stretch of marshland known as the Darién Gap. The highway terminates at Turbo, Colombia, and Yaviza, Panama. Because of swamps, marshes, and rivers, construction would be very expensive. One can cross through on foot, but it is both very difficult and very dangerous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pratt Kansas to the Presidio of San Francisco in the Summer of 1984 to do my USAR duty at the post veterinary clinic. Did it (1700 miles) in a 1978 Thunderbird. No hotels were involved. I did sleep a few hours in a road-side park in western Utah. I drove into the city on 101 from the North. As I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, the sun was setting and shining on the Pacific, the bay, and the city. I'd never seen salt water or a city that big before. I thought to myself "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore!". The other thing I remember about the last few miles until I checked into billeting, was that the long hood on a Thunderbird did not mix well with the SF hills. I had to pull more than I liked into each intersection to see ahead instead of up. That summer was a blast! Skipped my sister's wedding to do it; did not go to her next two either :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom