What model S&W revolver is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad picked it up this morning at an auction. What is it? Anything worth mentioning you can see?
I'm guessing it went cheap if he bought it blind like this.

IMG_20220917_163701_01~2.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is that it's one of the 32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 variants. They're outside of my wheelhouse, so I couldn't say which "change" it is. This page may help you narrow it down.

The finish looks like hard chrome. The left grip panel is in excellent condition.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That half moon front sight brings to mind the 1940-50’s revolvers, with names. Police Positive, M&P. Pencil barrel (tapered?) Model 10.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a .32 Hand Ejector Model. Need more pics of markings and SN to see exactly which model. Looks refinished. price in the $300-$600 range, most likely. If it really is an early model with the original nickel finish and looks like that, then the price would be considerably higher. But I doubt it. Date is somewhere between 1903 and pre WWII. Most likely in the 30's I would guess.

If in good condition internally it will be an accurate little piece. Should be able to ring steel at 100 with it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is that it's one of the 32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 variants. They're outside of my wheelhouse, so I couldn't say which "change" it is. This page may help you narrow it down.

The finish looks like hard chrome. The left grip panel is in excellent condition.

According to the link, his falls right into the middle of this range and the patent markings agree

"The Second Model .32 Hand Ejector Fifth Change was made from 1910 to 1917, with serial numbers that begin at 102,501 and run to approximately 263,000.*

Last edited:

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like and early K frame, (style of hammer, pinned barrel, style of ejector knob)

the guess of 32 S&W is consistent with the barrel marking.

That matt finish looks like a sandblast job to me.
Probably no original finish, so not a lot of collectors interest.

Sandblasting is often done to hide light rust pitting on a rough gun with minimal original finish. Its a low effort way to put on an even matt finish that hides a lot of sins. When I see it, I assume someone was trying to hide or cover up something. Look it over carefully before you think about shooting it.

1) verify the hammer does not push off with your thumb or jar off when the but is smacked on a wood work bench.

2) check the cylinder timing.

3) verify the cylinder locks in battery before shooting.

4) check the bore for obstructions and pitting.

Don't disassemble the gun unless you already know how to.
The old smiths are a bit tricky and you can mess them up with good intentions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom