What Scope Power for LR 30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fixin to start buying the components to build me a 350-400yrd 30-06 deer hunting rifle. On a Remington 700 platform I'm going with a Leupold VX-3L CDS combined with my hand loads and a good stock and comp trigger.
I'm thinking the 4.5-14 power will be sufficient.
Does this sound good or should I step up to a 20 power?
Any feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I'm not gonna change caliber, the 06 is the one.

Thanks.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
4.5 x 14 would work fine 20 power scopes suck for deer hunting no field of view. Im using vx3 in 3.5 x10x50 and it has been more than enough. I hunt some long range territory

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get an 8x20 power for that range. Yes FOV sucks w/ 20x, but you can always go back to 8x for the FOV.

That being said, I use a 3.5x10 on my deer rifle that I regularly use at ranges out to 500 yardsin the OK panhandle.

My 8x20 rest on my LR AR that I use for target shooting and prarie dogs.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4-12 on my .264 and have never, ever, cranked it up to 12x while hunting. It stays on 4x and its rare when I even adjust it higher than that. I regularly shoot 250-300 yards like that.

I think a 3-9 is hard to beat for any hunting situation.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 4.5-14 would be fine. If you wanted to switch brands on the scope some makers are produdcing quaility glass that range 4-16 giving you better magnification on both ends. Keep in mind I'm not talking about some of the junk scopes you buy at Walmart for under a hundred bucks. They probably aren't going to be much higher than a Vx3 Loopy either.

Evan

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4.5-14 leupold and use it for deer in West Texas were long shots are the norm. I love it, works well and I usually keep it around 6 power anyway. My Dad has a Swarovski that can turn up to 18 or 20 power and you really do not gain much because you start loosing clarity. You will be happy with 14 and will be able to make shots beyond 400 with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom