What the heck Marlin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of mess I've gotten into.

I recently purchased a Marlin 93R17 .17 HMR rifle back in May, slapped a Nikon 3x9 on it and took it out for the first run yesterday.

Observations listed in order of occurrence:

1. Factory mounted scope bases not inline with bore axis. Ran out of lateral adjustment, ended up shimming the mounts to get on center.
2. Magazine bumps the bottom/right side of the receiver on insertion. Wiggle jiggles required to get a full seat.
3. Moving the safety lever from safe to fire requires an inordinate amount of force, to the point you think something is going to break.
4. When the magazine is loaded it has a tendency to lose retention of the rounds and launch them skyward all at once. Typically when attempting the wiggle jiggle to get the damn thing seated in the mag well or after racking the bolt back after the first discharge.

It seems like many guns I've purchased lately have some sort of issue, most of which I can address myself but I figured with the sheer number of problems I would just go ahead and send this back to Marlin and have them straighten it out. During the phone call with Marlin, I give the little gal the serial # of the gun and she says "That gun was manufactured in 1978." Mmmmmm, considering the 17 HMR has only been around since 2002 or so, I don't think so. Anyhow, I reckon I'll ship this thing back and hopefully it doesn't end up in a space-time anomaly when the Bee Gees reigned supreme.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure this is a Marlin? I thought the model 93R17 was made by Savage... at least mine is.

Might explain the odd conversation with the phone rep.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope you can get things worked out. I've been very happy with my M93, as have a couple of guys from work.

My son finds it ideal for vaporizing onions and potatoes.
P1040295_reduced.jpg S93 in action.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you can get things worked out. I've been very happy with my M93, as have a couple of guys from work.

My son finds it ideal for vaporizing onions and potatoes.
View attachment 41416 View attachment 41417

YES! This time of year, the Savage 93R17 blows up a lot of excess veggi's. :D Tomato's are awesome!

BTW to the OP, I've never experienced the problems your having. Savage will take care of it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4. When the magazine is loaded it has a tendency to lose retention of the rounds and launch them skyward all at once. Typically when attempting the wiggle jiggle to get the damn thing seated in the mag well or after racking the bolt back after the first discharge.
Maybe it's the day I'm having, and I don't mean to make light of your problem, but I LOL'd at this. Twice.

I hope they make it right for you...

Latest posts

Top Bottom