What the heck???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw something odd on the side of the road this morning (3am) and no I do not mean JB chasing PH. It was a large cat, but an odd one. About the same size as my Dalmatian (50lbs) black with orange patches. The head looked like a bobcat but the body was longer and sleeker. The legs were longer plus it had a long tail.

When I first spotted it, I thought a dog was standing beside the road, but when I got up close to it I could see it was a cat. It did not run off just stood there looking at me while doing the "don't mess with me" cat tail swish. I even had time to shine my flashlight on it for a better look and wish I had a camera.

Does anyone know if bobcats can crossbreed with domestic cats? That is the only explanation I can come up with.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must have been an ocelot. In all seriousness, many years ago someone ran over a very large cat near my parents house. It had spots on its underbelly and had a long tail. It weighed about 25 lbs. And it wasn't big as in a big fat house cat. It was tall and long, basically like a bobcat. We were convinced it was a cross between a bobcat and a house cat. I don't know if it happens naturally or if breeders do it intentionally or if it can even produce live offspring at all.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what the heck this was. Thing was mostly black but for a few orange patches like a tabby. One of the patches was over it's left eye so it really looked weird. The head was more rounded then a domestic cat but the body was similar outside of being much larger then any domestic I have ever seen. All in all it was pretty fuggly.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. If I ever see it again I might have to see if it is tame. (very carefully, I may be crazy but I ain't stupid) It sure did not seem to be afraid of me.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. If I ever see it again I might have to see if it is tame.

Can you PLEASE have someone record this when you decide to..
i1235.photobucket.com_albums_ff422_Lurkerinthewoods_icon_lol_1.gif

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My brother in law just got a savannah cat. It is part African cerval (SP), part Egyptian cat. At 2 years it will be full grown. Huge cat, its a meat eater and supposed to be on a leash if outdoors. This cat is about 3 months old and can jump over the couch. The other day we caught it on the counter so we brushed him off, so he jumped to the ground, about 6 feet from the counter, it is amazing. The guy he bought it from says its momma will jump up and land on the top of an opened door.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, bobcats can breed with house cats. I have a rather fat lazy one at home that is probably sleeping on my couch right now. The strange thing is that their demeanor is usually closer to a dog than a cat, they'll follow you around outside like a dog, and don't really attack everything like a house cat would.

Latest posts

Top Bottom