What to do when your bored and ill and at home.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came down with either strep or a re-occurrence of the flu I got rid of two weeks ago. Haven't done a danged thing for three days other than lay in the recliner, sleep and play on the phone when I'm awake cuz I don't have to get up.
VA Clinic didn't even want me in there. Called told them the symptoms, and they sent a fax for a prescription to the pharmacy.
I couldn't stand it any more, so got off the recliner about 1600 this afternoon and went to the shop to try out some new bullets and loads for my S&W .40 5" Pro. Ran out of the bullets that I've used for years with great reliability. The new ones just don't like my M&P. Same design, same diameter, same length. Changed mag springs, recoil spring back to the original 13lb, cleaned, blah, blah. Changed OAL, longer, shorter, and nothing works. Got too tired to play with it anymore, so here I am back in the recliner.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came down with either strep or a re-occurrence of the flu I got rid of two weeks ago. Haven't done a danged thing for three days other than lay in the recliner, sleep and play on the phone when I'm awake cuz I don't have to get up.
VA Clinic didn't even want me in there. Called told them the symptoms, and they sent a fax for a prescription to the pharmacy.
I couldn't stand it any more, so got off the recliner about 1600 this afternoon and went to the shop to try out some new bullets and loads for my S&W .40 5" Pro. Ran out of the bullets that I've used for years with great reliability. The new ones just don't like my M&P. Same design, same diameter, same length. Changed mag springs, recoil spring back to the original 13lb, cleaned, blah, blah. Changed OAL, longer, shorter, and nothing works. Got too tired to play with it anymore, so here I am back in the recliner.
I'm sure it's not strep (thank god). It's a cold.
How did you get into loading? I will soon have a space to do it but will have some questions. I've always wanted to try it and have a few friends that do. I've even ran a few but would have a deep learning curve to the ballistics of grain and powder.
It still looks like it could be a neat hobby. I hate not having something to do after work and since I'm a bit ocd, this might be a good go to wedge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it's not strep (thank god). It's a cold.
How did you get into loading? I will soon have a space to do it but will have some questions. I've always wanted to try it and have a few friends that do. I've even ran a few but would have a deep learning curve to the ballistics of grain and powder.
It still looks like it could be a neat hobby. I hate not having something to do after work and since I'm a bit ocd, this might be a good go to wedge.
Other than .22 and recently cheap 12 ga, I've shot very, very few factory rounds since 1980. I loaded shotshell for about three years before that when shot was cheap. Now, unless your loading for turkey or late season pheasants, its just as cheap to buy the federal bulk shells at wally or Academy. In 80 I bought my first centerfire rifle in 30-06. Ammo was not terribly expensive for that gun, but my wages were barely making it month to month, so I found a complete RCBS special reloading rig at a garage sale for penny's on the dollar. Scales, press, several die sets, bullet puller, funnel set, etc. Still have it and still use it.
It does take getting some really good reloading books, and understanding pressure vs bullet length, vs fast/slow burning powders, what cartridges to use them in, temperature effects on pressures and how temps effect different powders. For instance Varget for rifles, has almost a zero temp issue with pressure. Blue dot
burn rates can vary widely between hot or cold temps possibly causing gun issues if your running the ragged edge.
I know it sounds like you have to have a PHD to register all of that info, but its not that hard. Most of the factory manuals have already tested everything and have test loads to start with.
BEWARE of internet hack pet loads until you have confirmed the safety of such loads. I've seen some Darwin Award winners posting loads on the internet.
Had a guy the other day call me and ask if Superformance would work well in his .22-250 with .52 grain bullets. Took about 2 minutes to look up the factory website where it was not recommended. Reason? Its a slow burning powder suited for bullets over 100 grain and higher. He would actually be loosing speed to use that powder.
The powder manufactures reps here in the states are more than happy to talk over the phone if you have a powder/bullet/brass combo your wondering about. They will visit with you all day until you understand.
Start slow, read a lot decide on a press depending on your volume of shooting. I had to go to a progressive with how much I shoot. The single stage can't keep up with loading 250-300 pistol rounds per hour.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than .22 and recently cheap 12 ga, I've shot very, very few factory rounds since 1980. I loaded shotshell for about three years before that when shot was cheap. Now, unless your loading for turkey or late season pheasants, its just as cheap to buy the federal bulk shells at wally or Academy. In 80 I bought my first centerfire rifle in 30-06. Ammo was not terribly expensive for that gun, but my wages were barely making it month to month, so I found a complete RCBS special reloading rig at a garage sale for penny's on the dollar. Scales, press, several die sets, bullet puller, funnel set, etc. Still have it and still use it.
It does take getting some really good reloading books, and understanding pressure vs bullet length, vs fast/slow burning powders, what cartridges to use them in, temperature effects on pressures and how temps effect different powders. For instance Varget for rifles, has almost a zero temp issue with pressure. Blue dot
burn rates can vary widely between hot or cold temps possibly causing gun issues if your running the ragged edge.
I know it sounds like you have to have a PHD to register all of that info, but its not that hard. Most of the factory manuals have already tested everything and have test loads to start with.
BEWARE of internet hack pet loads until you have confirmed the safety of such loads. I've seen some Darwin Award winners posting loads on the internet.
Had a guy the other day call me and ask if Superformance would work well in his .22-250 with .52 grain bullets. Took about 2 minutes to look up the factory website where it was not recommended. Reason? Its a slow burning powder suited for bullets over 100 grain and higher. He would actually be loosing speed to use that powder.
The powder manufactures reps here in the states are more than happy to talk over the phone if you have a powder/bullet/brass combo your wondering about. They will visit with you all day until you understand.
Start slow, read a lot decide on a press depending on your volume of shooting. I had to go to a progressive with how much I shoot. The single stage can't keep up with loading 250-300 pistol rounds per hour.
Thanks. I've been reading some books on it as well as watching a friend load. He mostly does 308 and 30-06. I shoot a lot and when I get my place set up, I'll be shooting more. Want to get as much as I can out of the Creedmoor even though it's already better than I with factory ammo.
I'll be bothering you with some questions later, if you don't mind, and will try not to be a pest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom