what to do with choke if shooting slugs from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 12 guage shotgun? Do I remove it or what? Also, I got some slugs and lead bird shot for practice, but what should I get for actual hunting. I was told some slugs don't work well with smooth barrel shotguns. The slugs I got are for smooth bore barrel shotguns. My ammo is 2 3/4, but I can also shoot 3 inch from it also just fewer rounds in at one time. So for deer, what slug should I use? And if I do turkey what shells?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never fire a shotgun with the chokes removed. You'll screw up the threads fast that way. Use an "open cylinder" or "cylinder" choke tube. Or now days, just buy a rifled slug barrel for it. It'll be more accurate and they aren't that expensive.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never fire a shotgun with the chokes removed. You'll screw up the threads fast that way. Use an "open cylinder" or "cylinder" choke tube. Or now days, just buy a rifled slug barrel for it. It'll be more accurate and they aren't that expensive.

THIS!

I am Ready, you might want to check to be sure, but I believe most chokes that are shipped with factory shotguns (unless its a specific model like the Remington 870 Turkey Magnum) have an open cylinder choke tube. I know my bone stock 870 Magnum Express was shipped with a factory open cylinder choke. And like Danny said, never shoot w/o a choke.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot slugs through a light mod choke pretty regularly. Some chokes will group better or be closer to POA, so you can experiment and see what works best. Google will tell you what you can safely shoot slugs through.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you seem to be fairly new to shooting. I suggest you need to find someone. possibly a forum member who will take you under their wing and and sit down with you for a couple hours and explain what you need, how it works, etc.
Maybe somebody on here would be willing to meet up with you at Happy Hollow or some place like that and run over the basics.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In regards to mr. Ed's post. I agree I need help. My cousin knows a lot and I am suppose to go shooting with him this weekend, but not sure if he knows what slugs I should use. I basically posted on here for the corroborating advice that comes with everyone chiming in. I have shot many guns in my life, but never owned one of my own til now. Thanks for all the advice.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In regards to mr. Ed's post. I agree I need help. My cousin knows a lot and I am suppose to go shooting with him this weekend, but not sure if he knows what slugs I should use. I basically posted on here for the corroborating advice that comes with everyone chiming in. I have shot many guns in my life, but never owned one of my own til now. Thanks for all the advice.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the slugs, if they are standard slugs, basically a chunk of lead going down the barrel.= Any choke will do.
If they are saboted slugs I would recommend cylinder or improved cyl.
Depending on the style of sabot a tight choke can really throw the accuracy off.
I used to shoot Bri sabot slugs thru a Hastings rifle slug barrel and it shot consistant 3" groups at 100 yards. which I thought was quite impressive.
Maybe not target rifle accurate but pretty good for a Rem 870

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom