What tools for AR Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built my first AR a couple months ago, I had the basics needed for assembly already but I highly recommend picking up roll-pin punches and holders. I ended up putting a small scratch in my lower using a regular pin punch to drive in the bolt release roll pin. Using a proper holder and punch makes it a cake walk, however my local Harbor frieght and lowes didn't have any so ordering online may be your best/only option...But hey, the next AR you build will be a breeze once you figure out all the crap you need as you build your first one.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had bought all the right punches and I still found roll pins to be a pain in the neck, especially the bolt release roll pin. Another OSA member turned me on to the Knipex adjustable wrench plier and roll pins go in so easy now it is amazing. I don't even bother with the punches anymore, I go straight to the Knipex. It has smooth jaws that don't mar the finish and they close straight together instead on an arc. Awesome.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I wish you were local. I tend to lose a lot of small parts.

We sell Armorer's tools, stripped lowers, parts kits, buttstock kits, Ballistol, and just about every item you can put on an AR15, including a bottle opener, that also serves as a front
attachment point for your sling.

i46.tinypic.com_148ds7q.gif

We also sell those little parts you loose that sometimes zip past you when building your lower.

i46.tinypic.com_24e54kg.jpg

We are your 1 stop AR15/M16 shop!

i49.tinypic.com_acfx1s.jpg

Mark's Firearms
Type 07-Manufacturer Of Firearms FFL/SOT
215 Industrial Boulevard
Moore, Oklahoma 73160
405-793-1875
Open 10:30 - 5:00 M-F

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had bought all the right punches and I still found roll pins to be a pain in the neck, especially the bolt release roll pin. Another OSA member turned me on to the Knipex adjustable wrench plier and roll pins go in so easy now it is amazing. I don't even bother with the punches anymore, I go straight to the Knipex. It has smooth jaws that don't mar the finish and they close straight together instead on an arc. Awesome.

Hmm, I might need to procure one of these magical devices. Sounds like it takes ALL the risk out of getting those pesky things in.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What length Knipex pliers are you using? I'm debating between the 7" and 10" version. Aw, what the heck. Maybe I'll just get both!

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
T.R. said:
What length Knipex pliers are you using? I'm debating between the 7" and 10" version. Aw, what the heck. Maybe I'll just get both!

I use the 7", that's all you need. Very manageable size, I think the 10" would be too much.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Still think I'll get both. I can think of about a gazillion things around the house/garage where the larger pliers would come in real handy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom