What will compel most lawful Americans to disarm themselves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In visiting with friends who I thought were 2A supporters, I see that many Americans are quite content with creeping gun bans. Multiple times, I was told by others "we really don't need assault rifles", "nobody uses an assault rifle for hunting", "assault rifles are only for killing people". Even avid shooters seem perfectly willing to support a ban on semi-automatic replicas of assault rifles and normal-capacity magazines. I've heard how some would gladly exchange their wall-hangers for $50 or $100 in a mandatory buyout.

Nearly everyone will exchange their rights, liberties and freedoms for something and the promise of perceived safety is deeply appealing to most Americans. What is the 'price-point' most Americans will accept in exchange for their Second Amendment rights?

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For most, it will will go about like this "Alright, all your guns are illegal now, turn them in at your local law enforcement office"...."Here ya go, Mr. ATF! Here are all my guns! I don't really like this but I don't have the backbone to stand up for my convictions!"

Me personally? They better bring a sack lunch, because they are gonna be there for awhile!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is in the terminology the media has used. You cannot go to Academy and buy an assault rifle. In fact, you need ATF approval before legally owning one. An assault rifle is a select fire rifle. The media chooses to demonize common semi-automatic sporting rifles by calling them assault rifles. Part of this is due to a lack of education on the part of journalists. A greater part is due to a collective effort by the media to sway public opinion by calling these rifles an evil name.

The only solution to this is education of the masses.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Tom

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone has their own limits and definition of "acceptable" gun control....everyone on this board who has a concealed carry permit proves that point.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For most people, it's not about money, but what allows them to feel better about themselves and sleep better at night. Giving up their guns for a $100 gift card or coupon is an easy way for them to feel good about themselves or feel like they're participating for the greater good for the minimal amount of effort. People will gladly trade their rights for that :(

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if it comes, it will be under the guise of "reasonable" restrictions. As in, "you cannot have hi cap mags" only 10 or 8 rounders. Then ultimately there may be a restriction on military calibers as there is in Mexico and some European countries. So, you may be able to own a revolver or a 10 shot mag for your semi-auto pistol. Lots of folks would say, "we'll that's not so bad, we still can shoot, and still protect ourselves, our homes and our families." Then in a few years there will be another restriction, maybe like have to keep all rifles at a range or a limit on how much ammo you can buy.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has their own limits and definition of "acceptable" gun control....everyone on this board who has a concealed carry permit proves that point.

Very true.

I think if it comes, it will be under the guise of "reasonable" restrictions. As in, "you cannot have hi cap mags" only 10 or 8 rounders. Then ultimately there may be a restriction on military calibers as there is in Mexico and some European countries. So, you may be able to own a revolver or a 10 shot mag for your semi-auto pistol. Lots of folks would say, "we'll that's not so bad, we still can shoot, and still protect ourselves, our homes and our families." Then in a few years there will be another restriction, maybe like have to keep all rifles at a range or a limit on how much ammo you can buy.

This is exactly how it works. Countering it requires constant vigilance, and not compromising for the lesser of two evils. Feinstein's (sp.) bill is an extreme example of what they want, but they will "settle" for less in the short term. This "settlement" will seem much more palatable to the masses but is always just another step toward the end game. They have patience and time on their side.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have experienced the "nobody needs assault weapons" among generally not anti-gun family. Make a point to bring up the roving gangs after hurricane Katrina or the Korean shop owners that were able to defend their lives and property with ARs during the LA riots. Or there was just a story where a 15 year old defended his sister and himself against a home invasion with an AR15.

They need to relate to an actual situation where you actually do need 30 rounds to defend yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom