Whatever happened to...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah more states should have CC but none should have gay marriage. Yeah I don't supports gays. So what.
Exactly, so what. I think too many people get butthurt over other people's opinions. Aaaaaannd, in the case of TonyKane1 here, too many people state their opinion specifically with the intent of making other people butthurt. Both should stop, not just one or the other. Political correctness is bullsh*t, but so is stating your opinion in a manner that is specifically intended to offend other people's sensitivities.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, having gay marriage and gun rights are on the same page, as it takes the government out of who can marry and who can own guns.

I agree completely.

That said, I won't say anymore as I don't think the 2A section of a gun forum is the place to hash out deeply held beliefs on non-gun related issues.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah more states should have CC but none should have gay marriage. Yeah I don't supports gays. So what.

That's the great thing about gays. If you don't want to be one, you don't have to. However, what you're doing isn't a lack of support, it's opposition. Look at it this way:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

That was so important that it was enshrined in the preamble to the Declaration of Independence. While we all may differ in what that means exactly, I don't think it's unrealistic to say that if someone feels the ability to bind themselves to another in a legal sense, will allow them to feel their liberty and pursuit of happiness will be fulfilled by doing so, who is another person to say they shouldn’t be allowed to? How does it injure you when you aren’t a party to that contract?

Taken another way, we always lament when anti-gun people try to tell us gun owners what we should or should not legally be allowed to have. How does it injure them when I happen to have a certain type or number of guns in my possession? Simple, it doesn’t. They’re being busybodies who assume that they can interfere with my liberty and pursuit of happiness to suit their feelings. When you say that gays should not be allowed to legally marry, how is that any different?

Look, I used to feel the same way. My viewpoints changed when I realized it was hypocritical for me to assume that my opinion should have any binding effect on what made someone else happy in their own life. My rights end where their nose begins, so I no longer oppose gay marriage. I don’t have to support it, because it doesn’t have any effect on me whatsoever. I might support it if I felt that my support would lead many gays to support my rights to own whatever made me happy.

Ultimately, whatever anyone does that does not harm others should be allowed. No one has to like it beyond those who partake in that endeavor. Only when it becomes harmful to society at large should steps be taken. Still yet, in most cases those steps should be directed at the individual(s) responsible for the harm, and not restrictions on society as a whole. JMO, YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom