Whats lead worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a sheet of lead that came out from under some tile, in a bathroom. It wieghs 30-40 pounds (guessing) and I have no use for it. Is this good lead for reloaders? I know some types of lead are better than others, but much else. I'll probably be giving this away, but thought I would ask first.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That may be pure lead. It's popular for making black powder bullets and shotgun slugs. I use a Lee Precision mold and make 12 gauge slugs.

As for a price? I have no idea. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who owns a tire shop and when his shop slows down, we make bullets with wheel weights.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair price is about a dollar a pound.. it's too soft to make plinking rounds but you can alloy it... I'd cut it down, melt it, and make muffins out of it so I could mix it with some monotype and cast a few thousand with it..

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone that cast's for muzzel loaders could use the pure/soft lead. Someone with Lino or Wheelweights could cut it and use it too. I mix some 50/50 soft/ww and water drop for pistol bullets. I've been watching prices and $0.80 to $1.00 per pound seems to be the going rate. I took some scrap metal to a recycler about a month ago and asked about lead. If you're selling to them it's $0.10. If you're buying from them it's $1.00 per pound.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll probably be giving this away,

I scored a truckload of lead this way recently.
My F-I-L gave it to me. Had my 3/4 ton begging for mercy.
Gave away a bunch to a couple buddies.
Still have plenty to last me a lifetime.
I've picked up some linotype I use to water it down with.
If I ever use up my WW's anyway.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, here's what I'm going to do. I will start another thread, called "free lead" or something, and whoever wants it, and is willing to come get it can post. Assuming there will be several, I will draw a name or something and let ya know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom