Whats wrong with this fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught about 4-5 catfish this weekend at Ft. Cobb that had bumps all over them. They looked pretty sickly and it was just on the larger fish we caught (5-10 lbs.). Wish I would have took pics of all but these are all i got. We released them but maybe should have thrown them on bank. Could it be worms?
i218.photobucket.com_albums_cc157_boatpic2007_IMG_1302.jpg

i218.photobucket.com_albums_cc157_boatpic2007_IMG_1301.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Encysted parasites. Likely a trematode (Grub) or Ichthyophihirius multifiliis. Does not look appetizing but are said to be ok to eat! :) Were the gills ok? Or were they discolored or full of lesions?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most pond fish have worms.
We just never told the women folk and ate them.
I'm talking about bass.
That being said, I've never see those on catfish.
Send those pics the the ODW. Go to their website and click on "contact us". They will get back with you shortly.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never looked at the gills. I had so many cuts on my hands this week I really didn't want to handle them much and end up with the heebie geebies :) I'll definately send the ODW the pics. Thanks guys!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen that a few times on catfish caught around here in some of the local creeks. I skinned out a 7 lb. channel cat that looked like those in the pictures and there was a nasty milky looking pus between the skin and meat and it made the fish smell almost rotten. I threw that fish away and released the others we caught...

I have seen catfish like that one other time and they were full of parasites - worms 1/2" to 1" in length....

Latest posts

Top Bottom