When buying my first hand gun.....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the gun owning community, well after you buy one.

Welcome to the decision to protect yourself with a weapon. The bad guys have guns why don't the good guys.

I guess I want to ask why you stated you were interested in a 9mm?

I would strongly advise you get some good training. shoot several guns of different sizes and calibers. Talk to an instructor about the diff sizes of guns and which size would be applicable to your needs.

Buying a gun without shooting it first is like buying a house and never looking inside.

No one can tell you about recoil, you have to experience it yourself and make a determination. No one can tell you about the fit of a grip, best thing is to shoot guns with diff size grips and see how YOU handle them.

Some calibers are more effective at stopping bad guys than others.

Now, generally, a heavier gun is much better than light weight gun. I would much rather shoot a heavy gun. Now, weight does play a role when carrying a gun, but for home or car - go with heavy. You might ask why? again shoot light and then a heavy gun and the difference will rapidly and clearly be apparent.

I have students come to me all the time that have purchased a gun based on some criteria. A lot of the time it is not the best gun for them. I let them shoot my guns that I have chosen specifically to teach with, about 14 of them, talk about the difference, and many times they say they wished they had come to see me first and understand the diff before they bought. Then they are looking to trade in the gun they bought and buy one that works for them.

Shooting a pistol accurately is not as easy as it looks on TV.

I would encourage you to look at a shotgun for home protection.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probusiness is right. Don't buy a gun without holding it and preferably shooting it first. But at the VERY least hold all te guns that are possible options.

I would definitely consider a 1911 in 9mm (put a hogue wrap around grip on it and it may be the most comfortable gun you will ever hold).

Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD or XDm are all good options.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto to the comments about getting some training in basic weapons safety and handling/employment techniques. A good place to start looking is on the National Rifle Association (NRA) training web site - here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
I'd suggest if you truly have had no previous firearms training that you start by searching for the "NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation" and then follow-up with "NRA Basic Pistol Shooting" - good luck.

^^^^^^^This.

Without proper instruction, you're looking for trouble. Handguns are a subjective thing. I love my Glocks, CZs, Sigs, etc. Each one is a joy to shoot. But, each gun is different. What one person likes, others hate.

When you go through an Introduction to Firearms class, you'll get hands-on training with quite a few handguns. Typically, the gun that feels best in your hands will be the one you shoot best.

Get training, then buy your gun.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LOVE shooting a Glock 17, but it's way to big for every day carry, IMO. It's a good nightstand gun, as is the XDm line. My step dad has a .45 XDm and it shoots like a dream, with only a little more 'thump' than his Glock 17. Both are too big for carry though. I really like my XDs as a carry pistol and it's also big enough to have a good time at the range. The M&P Shield, Walther PPS and a few others are in the same class, but I went with the XDs because I don't care for the grip and the way the M&P shoots and I couldn't find a good deal on the PPS when I was gun shopping.

Those, and other guns mentioned here, are good starting points but you need to shoot a few to know what you like best. Also, it's a good idea to try holstering one as you plan to carry it (if you do) and see if you're comfortable with a double stack or a single stack. I didn't like the way my Glock 23 felt IWB, which sparked the search that led to the XDs.

Good luck with the search and enjoy your new gun.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why has no one mentioned a revolver. They are easier to use than a semi auto. They have less kick back (recoil). They are also usually more accurate too.

A .357/.38 rebolver will handle a bigger range of ammo than any semi auto.

The OP's criteria was, simple to load and fire, least kick back and safe. I think a .357 revolver fits that better than any semi auto. There is no need to disassemble a revolver and they are easier to load and fire than any semi auto and just as safe. Most don't need any breakin to function at it's best as some semi autos.

I think current New york laws say seven round capacity max.

Latest posts

Top Bottom