When is CC liscense required

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok let me explain my question before you shout, "anytime you CC dummy"

So say Im out hunting or target shooting on public land. I have my hunting license that allows me to do this. If I happen to have a pistol on me concealed or not do I still need a CC license as well?

If I dont then at what point do I need to? Once I get in the truck to leave public land, once I return to city limits?

I guess im wondering where the legal line is if there is one.
Of course it easy to find where you cant legally carry but not where you "must" legally carry.

sorry if this is dumb or already answered. I tried to search but had no luck.

mike

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There really is no legal fine line. If you are concealing a handgun on your person in the state of Oklahoma, you need a permit. Period.

Last edited:

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So basically if some has a handgun no matter where they are in oklahoma with exeption to the above, they need a CC permit to carry it, open or concealed, hunting or not right? Including public land.

seriously im not trying to be a smartass. Just making sure when me and my dad/brothers go out shooting that we are legal thats all.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can open carry on public land if you are hunting, you just can't conceal your pistol on public land without a CCW. The pistol you carry has to be legal for something that is legal to hunt at that time. Different WMA's have different specific rules you want to read before you go, they're listed in the Oklahoma Hunting guide.

The specific exemption for hunting:
TITLE 21 § 1272 UNLAWFUL CARRY
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

More specific:

TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions
1. When hunting animals or fowl;
2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;
3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;
4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't transport it in a vehicle loaded, without a permit.
Just make sure when in the woods its not concealed and a legal cartridge for whatever your hunting.
Also be aware its not legal to target shoot on public land unless its a public range.
You can't just go set up targets and start blasting away anywhere you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom