Where does ammo go when flying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm about to fly to CO and wanted to bring my carry pistol with me.

Unloaded gun goes in locked box, which goes into check in bag. Ammo goes back into the box it came from and can just go into checked in bag? Is this correct?

Thanks,
Jonny

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm about to fly to CO and wanted to bring my carry pistol with me.

Unloaded gun goes in locked box, which goes into check in bag. Ammo goes back into the box it came from and can just go into checked in bag? Is this correct?

Thanks,
Jonny

Correct.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

I am flying United (unfortunately they don't seem to have the best feedback for firearms)

Jonny

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Airlines have pretty much have the same requirement from TSA. But each airline might tweak it with their own stuff here and there.

United accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport.

Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
Firearms are not accepted to and from Bahrain, Denmark, Israel, Nigeria, Qatar and Turkey.
For travel to and from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
Customers traveling to or through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden.
Customers traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA) with checked firearms and/or ammunition must be in possession of a gun import license or a temporary transportation permit, which must be certified and validated by a Guatemalan Consulate. Customers traveling with checked firearms and/or ammunition through Guatemala City do not require a permit as long as their bag does not leave the airport controlled area. Customers must ensure they have all the necessary documents required at their final destination.
Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.
The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.
Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.
The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.
Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.
No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to checked firearms.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's easy. Listen to Glocktogo , I have a block of foam cut out in my gun case, we usually take both the pocket guns and a full size when we travel one box of .380 and one box of 9mm 3 guns and magazines plus I drop my edc knife in the locking case as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom