Where to appraise antique Winchester rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend who recently inherited a rifle he is interested in selling. It is a Winchester Model 1866. From the limited research done (either by my friend or previously by his father), it is supposed to be made in the 1880s. He told me the exact year today, but I forgot. I haven't seen the rifle yet but was told it has the original finish and is in good condition. He is supposed to be getting me some pictures. So is there any place this can be taken to so it can be looked at and given an opinion? He's looking for what a fair price would be to list it.

I already told him Pawn Stars in Vegas but he's not interested in going that far.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're in a pinch,call Collectors firearms in Houston. They should be able to help or guide you in the right direction. They have or had several gatlin guns,volcanic pistols henry rifles,'66,'73, '92 and numerous other original collector guns.

They even have a pinch frame Colt SAA....very rare for $175k when one in a little better shape sold in a Vegas gun auction for 3x that price.

Cohiba

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics?

With that date, you should have a 4th model. Is it a rifle or carbine?

Condition is what's going to make the difference in value.
I'll post them back in this thread when I get them. It may be a couple of days though. I don't know if it's a rifle or carbine. And condition is one thing we're looking for a professional inspect in person so he knows how to list it.
If you're in a pinch,call Collectors firearms in Houston. They should be able to help or guide you in the right direction.
Cohiba
Thanks. I'll pass the info along. He's not in a pinch by any means. He's just not a gun collector.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll post them back in this thread when I get them. It may be a couple of days though. I don't know if it's a rifle or carbine. And condition is one thing we're looking for a professional inspect in person so he knows how to list it.

If you're going to want more than just a courtesy look / cursory opinion then you'll likely not find anyone who really knows who is willing to do it for free.

Also, beware... there are a bunch of people out there who will take your money for an appraisal and yet they couldn't tell original Winchester finish to save their own a$$ let alone be able to ascertain anything more than a general value for insurance purposes based on similar (in their opinion) firearms sales.

You said 'list'... what is the plan?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're going to want more than just a courtesy look / cursory opinion then you'll likely not find anyone who really knows who is willing to do it for free.
From what I knew of his dad, though I haven't seen it, I'm betting it worth a good chunk of change. My friend is not hurting for cash and simply looking to dump it off. With what the thing is likely worth, I don't think paying for a professional appraisal would be an issue.

Also, beware... there are a bunch of people out there who will take your money for an appraisal and yet they couldn't tell original Winchester finish to save their own a$$ let alone be able to ascertain anything more than a general value for insurance purposes based on similar (in their opinion) firearms sales.
That's why I asked here. I was looking for opinions from a knowledgeable group of people that could point me in the right direction so I don't just pay some idiot that knows as much as I do about it and will just BS him.

You said 'list'... what is the plan?
He wants to sell it. He's simply not a gun guy. He asked me where he thought he should sell it. I have no interest in antiques and can't help him with finding the value or telling him where to take it. That's why I came here. But I have no idea where he could sell it at a fair price. I hoping if we can find someone who knows about it and what it should sell for, the same person would know an interested collector(s) or could point him in the right direction. I've received a couple of leads here and in PM. I'll go see my friend tomorrow, pass along the info and try to get some pics ASAP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom