Where to buy an engine? builder reviews? opnions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are there any 5.3's making 500whp in a car?

First of all - 5.3 never came in a "car" (other than FWD Monte ... but that's a whole different story).

With forced induction - TONS.

Natural Aspriated - you have to be either trying to prove a point or have some loose grey matter to limit your cubes on an NA build ... just like building NA mod motor: it can be done with enough $$$ ... but WHY? Well, with mod motor I don't know if there is enough $$$ in this economy to do it :P

With all that said - it has been done on stock bottom 5.7L, which basically 5.3L with .100 overbore.

M_Ridgeway

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all - 5.3 never came in a "car" (other than FWD Monte ... but that's a whole different story).

With forced induction - TONS.

Natural Aspriated - you have to be either trying to prove a point or have some loose grey matter to limit your cubes on an NA build ... just like building NA mod motor: it can be done with enough $$$ ... but WHY? Well, with mod motor I don't know if there is enough $$$ in this economy to do it :P

With all that said - it has been done on stock bottom 5.7L, which basically 5.3L with .100 overbore.

n/m i knew better than to post in here.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P.S. SUV - Sequoia with TRD supercharger, Escalade or Cherokee SRT8 with Pro-Charger.

Obviously you have never ridden in or driven a Cayenne Turbo of you suggest that one of the vehicles above would even be in the same league. I can slap a supercharger on any SUV and make it fast.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am restoring a 67 Swb and shopping for engine. Lots of low mileage complete engine/transmissions on eBay. Probably routs I will take. Putting front suspension from 05 crown Vic under it so motor should bolt in easily and will do a painless or another company wiring harness.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to build a 5.3 that will make 500hp "Natural Aspriated - you have to be either trying to prove a point or have some loose grey matter to limit your cubes on an NA build ... just like building NA mod motor: it can be done with enough $$$ ... but WHY?" but if I can show you a NA mod motor making 500 hp that will prove some point you're tryin to make? There are several examples of mod motors making over 500hp, NA, but most people, like you admit, go forced induction.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You two are talking Chevy LS- engines versus Ford modular, right? Are you also talking about equal displacements? Seems to me that the 6.0 would be the LS builders choice (no replacement for...) but the largest Ford "mod" V8 at 5.8 liters was just introduced for the 2013 model year - again correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess most builders would go with the well known 5.4.

So is anybody surprised that the extra 600cc's might give a heck of an edge? What do the power and torque curves look like? What's the durability like REALLY, that is none of the old "my engines haven't ever broke except for XYZ and PDQ oh yeah and ABC..." How much does the truck weigh and how much engine does it really need to be fun?

Seriously, a pissing contest over one number (max horsepower) is pretty silly. Then arguing price vs. intangibles like "driving experience" and refinement. Guys, guys, start making sense here!

Ok, soapbox retired.

No, not quite. I'd love to hear about ANYTHING other than "drop an SBC in it!" Seems like that's all anybody ever does. Why not do something crazy and fun like a Lexus 4.3 or a forced induction Yamaha/SHO build or a (relatively) smaller displacement V10? Ever see that website about a Jag V12 put in a Corvair? That's some imagination and cool factor. But for now, jeezum, just put a Ford engine in the Ford truck and call it good. You'll be plenty happy.

Ok, really done now. No offense, fellers.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to hear about ANYTHING other than "drop an SBC in it!" Seems like that's all anybody ever does. Why not do something crazy and fun like a Lexus 4.3 or a forced induction Yamaha/SHO build or a (relatively) smaller displacement V10? Ever see that website about a Jag V12 put in a Corvair? That's some imagination and cool factor. But for now, jeezum, just put a Ford engine in the Ford truck and call it good. You'll be plenty happy.

Ok, really done now. No offense, fellers.
the LSX is a totally different design from the sbc. And building anything that you mentioned would be retarded. First off the old sho motors aren't known for reliability so let's just throw that out the window. The v8 show had major cam problems. Jag v12. Expensive. Slow. United kingdom made so it sux. It's not reliable. The only v10s I know of to get easy over here are the ford truck engine and the viper. Again. Viper engine. Good luck getting one cheap. They create good power. The ford one seems like a turd to me. Again. The LSX beats that ass. I'm not denying that any combo can't beat the LSX. It just takes more money. The LSX and the 302 ford small block would be the only things I would remotely build for that truck. No crazy ****. Keep it simple.
The displacement argument. Lol. Don't make excuses. Make horsepower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom