Where to find good tomatoes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's been a long time since I've had a good, properly flavorful sweet and acidic tomato. Everything I get from the stores are pink and tasteless, all engineered to look pretty and last long on shelves, but at the cost of taste.

Anybody have a line on a local source of good tomatoes? Local grower, farm stand, someone at a farmers' market...

It's to the point I think I'm going to start growing my own next year.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What TinkerTanker said. Maters are super easy to grow. The current heat will slow down the blooming and tomatoes setting on a bit. When the weather starts cooling in the fall the plants will kick into high gear again up until frost. Pick your green tomatoes right before frost, put them in the garage and they will slowly ripen over the coming weeks—not as good as vine ripened but still better than store bought.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What he said.
I grow some right on the front porch so I don’t have to walk to the garden.

CE43F6B6-641C-4CCB-B148-72807CCFB758.png

Looks like some are ready now

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's been a long time since I've had a good, properly flavorful sweet and acidic tomato. Everything I get from the stores are pink and tasteless, all engineered to look pretty and last long on shelves, but at the cost of taste.

Anybody have a line on a local source of good tomatoes? Local grower, farm stand, someone at a farmers' market...

The Edmond Farmers Market - Saturdays and Wednesdays.

Jackson Farms in Piedmont sells field grown tomatoes there.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've got about 75 tomato plants in this year. So far doing pretty good. :hyper: I also have a 12x40 high tunnel greenhouse. We've had ripe tomatoes for almost 3 weeks, I'm running a little late this year.

Look around for a local farmers market. Field/garden grown tomatoes are just now coming ripe in NE oklahoma.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You’re a long ways out of the way from my route up or I’d bring you some tomatoes next week. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom