Where to learn 'field dressing" and other hunting skills?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking into possibly getting involved in a lease with a friend of mine. There's hogs on that thar land, too! He was initially looking at it for bow-hunting deer, but then we heard about the hogs... :D

So anyways. My 10 year-old has been asking about going hunting for a couple of years, as well.

I haven't hunted as an adult for anything except some dove. Went out a few times with friends as a teen, never saw anything, we were stupid kids, what do you expect?

So... I basically know nothing "hands' on" about hunting. Like... I've watched some TV shows. I like guns. I think I'd like hunting. Deer, turkey, definitely pig. But the times I've eaten venison, I didn't particularly care for it, too gamey, no matter the style (jerky, sausage, flank steak, maybe chili was ok). Not sure if I'll feel the same way about wild swine. But I need to learn what to do, not just the shooting portion, I think that's probably pretty self-explanatory. But what about after the kill? I don't have 4-wheelers and all that crap. How do you drag a 200-300 pound hog back to the truck? Or a few of them if you get really lucky? I assume if you field-dress them, it brings the weight down a bit, but, it ain't gonna make it easy. I don't have a pickup, either. Am I going to basically HAVE to get a pickup and a 4-wheeler to be able to do much of this kind of thing? I don't mind buying a beater pick'em'up, but I don't really have anywhere to keep it. <sigh> We're about out of places to park at my house. lol Same problem with a 4-wheeler. Until I'm able to buy a place out in the country, anyways.... <another sigh>

So... I assume most of ya'll were lucky enough to have family or friends who taught you these things growing up? My dad got unwillingly disappeared (literally - forever) when I was very young, my step-dad was disabled (no legs) and the family wasn't into guns or hunting. So I tried to get in with some friends who did it, but my parents didn't want me doing it, and I had to sneak, which meant... well, it wasn't very often or very successful. So here I am, an adult, wanting to learn and then pass it down to my own kid.

I honestly feel pretty damn ashamed, growing up here and always wanting to be able to do this stuff and never having a chance. My son wants to learn, and he thinks because I am into guns and because I'm "The Dad" that I should know all about this stuff... but I've never had anywhere to hunt, really, so I've never learned all the associated skills.

Wow... sorry, didn't mean to get into all that. I'm just nervous, don't want to screw things up, don't want to be unsafe, don't want to disappoint my kid... it's almost like a right of passage in OK, I think, that I never got to do. :(

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just have fun with him out there, not every hunt ends in a kill. Enjoy and point out the little things you notice while you're out there. The more you're out there the more you'll pick up on and learn. I started tagging along with my dad when I was about 3yo. He pretty much only deer hunted. Every great once in a while we'd dove, duck, rabbit or squirrel. Prairie chickens a few times. So really other than deer, I pretty much learned myself through trial and error (pre youtube days lol). Trapping I learned from my best friends dad.

Everyone dresses/butchers deer a little differently, same with most game. Everyone has their preferences on what cuts they like. Sounds like a great year to sign up for a OYH&SP deer hunt this year. :) You'd both get to see and do a lot of the things you're asking about first hand, and hands on.

Some kids are into it more than others also. My 12yo daughter is a hunting/trapping machine.....my 8yo son could take it or leave it :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Any turkey on the property you're looking at? That starts in April 6th every year. Youth season has always the weekend before......except this year it's April 4 and 5th??? Monday/Tuesday...WTH?

Anyway turkey is great to start the kids on. Temps are usually mild, able to move about in the woods some instead of stand hunting. Buy him a box call and let him call up his own bird. Turkey is very kid friendly.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I don't know if there are turkey around, though. Still in the early stages of evaluating the property. My friend is a much more experienced hunter and I will likely utilize him as a good resource. He's supposed to go check out the property today, I believe.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a stickler for hunter safety, and my recommendation is for YOU to take a hunter's ed course that should give you an overview of what you want to learn about hunting in general as well as how to be safe in the field. I've never taken the opportunity to go myself, but from what I understand, the Hunting Expo at the Lazy E in September should be a great outing and educational for you and your son.

Also, this board is a great resource for hunting information, and from what I've seen in my time here, the members are very willing to help.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. Hunter Safety course for me and The Boy is definitely in the plan. I took one years ago and had my card, but that's been... well, too many years for me to recall. lol. I think around 20 or so. lol

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TRidiot - Did I understand that your son will be 12 in August? You and your son are a perfect candidate for the OYH program, it appears. I teach hunter education to some of the children before they go on our hunts. Please send me a pm with your cell# and we can chat about this.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
not to mention, i've seen some pretty cool stuff from a deer stand. the kind of things a kid will remember the rest of his life. your son is the perfect age to start him out. there are some really good videos on youtube for field dressing and preparing meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom